Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Benediction

One of the things I really enjoy about our new preaching minister is the fact that he closes each service with a benediction. We leave every Sunday with a doxology, a charge to go, to serve, to love. Besides the nice feeling of closure it brings, there is a sense of purpose...as though we go as one, a community called to do God's work.

Even though I am years away, it's impossible for me not to think about the things I would like to do as a minister some day. This has always been one and it's nice to be a part of it already.

5 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Meowmix said...

I like closing songs with a message of that nature, too........like "God Bless You, Go with God".

Now, I DON'T like the sing "God Be With You," cuz it makes me cry!
:)

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, am inspired with the Benediction. When I sang in my college choir, we closed every concert with my favorite, "The Lord Bless You And Keep You". by Lutkin. One closing song I miss a lot is "Now The Day Is Over."

Jason's closing words of our service are refreshing and assuring, just as a former preacher's "Call To Worship" which instilled a sense of joy for our being gathered together. Both promote that feeling of unity.

(There's only one song I cannot get through without crying, and that's "Be With Me Lord". I don't know why...maybe it's the exquisite harmony and simplicity.)

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

I think the first time I experienced that was a visit to the Nashville church where BST was worship leader. They were allowing another church (Lutheran, I think) use their building for a while and the visiting priest gave a benediction over the church. I thought it was pretty cool.

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Bless you too!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Remember the Sargent of "Hill Street Blues" and his benediction after each watch meeting - "Hey, hey, lets be careful out there."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters