Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sleep

The teacher in the classroom next to mine confessed to me this morning that she had a dream last night wherein she smacked one of her students. In the teaching profession we call this "wish fulfillment."

It made me realize that I never dream about school. I dream every night. I dream about church a lot. I dream about the Angels. I dream about whatever show I watched before going to bed. I dream about whatever I spent a great deal of time doing that day. But I can't recall a single dream I've had about teaching. That's weird. And it speaks to how invested I'm not in my job these days. I know I'm going to need to rededicate myself to what I'm doing so that it will continue to be a ministry and not just a way to make a living.

My wife has trouble sleeping. It's very hard for her. Not me. It's a rare night that I take more than five minutes to fall asleep. Her inability to sleep well affects her a lot. Aside from just making her tired all the time, it's a real health issue. She's had every test in the book done, but it still is a problem, one I pray about constantly.

Last night I got a call from one of my best friends. He too has had difficulty sleeping for many months now and it is affecting his attitude. I ask you all to pray today for these two people whom I love. Pray please that God heal them of this and give them what many of us take for granted...a good night's sleep.

4 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Swan Man said...

Being the health nut that I've become, my first question would be, "what are her eating habits, and how much exercise does she get?" Then if that's all top-notch, I'd be stumped. I guess I'm not a doctor for a reason.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

You, Lisa, and your friend all have my prayers. I was like you until this summer when I began to have sleep problems for the first time in my life.

I attributed it to being at 13,700 feet and the lack of good sense to be that high but my lack of sleep continued through the start of school.

My solution ended up for the moment, to be monthly B-12 shots and vitamin B supplements. I hope Lisa and your friend find some relief soon.

On a lighter note, Rick Atchley said a couple of years ago at Pepperdine, when he was in his 20's he could play basketball all day long.
In his 30's he could still play basketball all day long but then he would pay the price the next day.
In his 40's he could only dream about playing basketball all day long.
He then said that now that he is in his 50's, he can't even dream about it because he can't fall asleep! :)

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

I can empathize with Lisa and your friend. I have some of the same problems, but it isn't as worrisome since I retired and don't have to get up at 5:00. You all have my prayers that God will supply everything needed for health and wellbeing.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

Why haven't you told me about Lisa's sleep problem? How many of my sermon tapes do you want?

The other night I watched "The Real Abraham Lincoln" documentary on History Channel. That night I dreamt all night long that I was trying to obtain a burial permit for Lincoln!

As for the sleep issue ... when all the tests have been done and there are no underlying physical problems that need to be addressed, you might consider trying hypnosis. I've helped many people get a good night's sleep by using hypnosis and teaching them self-hypnosis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters