Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Problem(s) With the King James Version

I was brought up on the KJV. I have enormous fondness for it and still find myself quoting many verses in its Shakespearean prose. When my friend Arthur prays for me, I thank him in the confidence that his prayers will "availeth much." I still feel that God "maketh me lie down in green pastures and leadeth me beside still waters." John 3:16 will always be about "His only begotten son" and I will always ask God to forgive my debts as I forgive my debtors. I love the "thy's" and "thee's" and "yea's" and "ye's." The language is beautiful...and I love beautiful language.

Having said that....

I am working through "How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth" by Fee and Stuart. They devote a chapter to choosing the right translation to study. The ol' KJV doesn't come out all that well. Some reasons, examples, and difficulties follow.

The KJV was based on late manuscripts which had accumulated the mistakes of over a thousand years of copying.

As much as possible, the KJV tries to stay close to the original language. The problem here is that the original meanings of many of those words has been lost or changed. "Holy kisses" and "coals of fire" require some translating which the KJV doesn't do. It is better to use a translation that will stays as close as possible to the original meaning.

Weights, measures, and money have changed in terminology. So homers, ephahs, shekels, talents, and denarii don't mean much to us.

Grammar, syntax, and vocabulary have all shifted, meaning that we have to work harder to get at the original intent than strictly literal translations will allow. In I Cor. 3:9, we read "For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building." Possessive grammar in Greek is sometimes hard to follow. What Paul meant was that "we are God's co-workers; you are God's field, God's building" (TNIV)

Gender is an obvious problem. Even when I was in school, I was being taught that "man" and "he" are proper when writing about either gender. It's no wonder that we have such confusion regarding gender roles when the Bible says so much about men and so little about women. Does anybody really think that when Jesus said, "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone" that the statement only refers to men and boys?

There are many other difficulties as well. Even the now-sacred NIV has its shortcomings. I was gratified to see that the authors highest recommendation was for the TNIV, which is my translation of choice. They warned though, that when doing serious study it is best to have mulitple translations at the ready. As long as one of them is not the King James Version.

P.S. Don't get your hopes up that the New KJV is better. It throws out much of the wonderful language but keeps all the mistakes.

7 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is interesting the undying devotion to the KJV that many have. It is almost as if questioning the KJVs translation would be questioning the integrity of God's Word.
Shane

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

Like you, I still have so many of those KJV verses memorized as a child in my head and can't seem to replace them with any other version. I stopped using it many, many years ago for the reasons you cited, and others. I have met people who honestly believe it is the language of God and the Bible was given to humanity in the KJV. I thought they were kidding. They were dead serious.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

But...it's the authorized version! It says so, right there on the cover!

(Gotta get me a TNIV translation.)

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

On our way to the old Bible Camp before they perform the time honored Church of Christ rite of the "un-invitation" on us, we use to go by a Baptist Church who's sign read:

"Blah-Blah Baptist Church
King James Only"

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they should just call that church "King James's Only Baptist Church!

I gotta get the TNIV too! I love my NIV study bible...but I need bigger print. (I wonder if it's too late for me to learn Greek) I remember when it was a big thing to even use the RSV. However, when I started attending church at College in 1983, I was pleasantly shocked that there WAS an NIV...at that time, it was like a breath of fresh air!

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

I love my NIV but what is TNIV? Haven't heard of that one.

I always wondered what "I do you to wit" means!

But Hebrews 11? I love to read it from KJV. Just love it.

 
At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always liked the NASB, but find myself in the ESV more recently...:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters