Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Humbled

As I transition from part-time preacher to part-time seminary student, it would be easy to have some bitterness. We've all seen cases of churches treating ministers who are leaving in an awkward manner, wishing they would hurry up and go so that the new guy could get started. I want to share two things that have happened recently that have humbled me beyond words and made me feel both appreciated and loved as a new era begins at the College Church.

A number of people have approached me over the past several months, asking if they could help support my time in seminary. Obviously, seminary tuition is something that we could not afford by ourselves. That brothers and sisters have come to me and asked to help tells me that they believe in the calling God has given me and that they have faith that I will be the kind of minister God wants in His church. There are no words for how that makes me feel and how incredibly grateful I am to them.

Our service on Sunday was so special to me. The three of us who have done the bulk of the preaching over the past 13 years were given time to reflect on what the time has meant to us. Afterward, our precious elders called us to the front and publicly washed our feet. If nobody has ever done that for you, you can't know how the act combines the feelings of being lifted up and being put in your place at the same time. For these men to wash my feet made me feel so loved, appreciated, and proud of what I've done for my church. For these men to wash my feet made me feel so humble and conscious of who I am in relation to them and others. It was a powerful way to transition into what comes next.

It is a wondrous thing to know that you are never alone. Not only do I have the assurance of the Triune God living in me, but I have no question that my church loves me and supports my mission. It is a very, very good feeling indeed.

6 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger MaryR said...

You are a good man.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Math Bro - that was powerful. What a special body of brothers and sisters you preached for, ministered to, and are now both appreciated and ministered by them. Perhaps the "Word Verification" knows something about this transition in your life, I hope so:

"spedy"

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

God bless your elders! I have known far too many "elders" who would NEVER stoop to wash feet, literally or figuratively.

 
At 2:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WE have an awesome group of elders! And you ARE so loved!

Ha...the WV is "makint"

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Wish I had been there. You have, and will continue to serve them well.

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve-I too was moved beyond words by service last Sunday. May the Lord continue to move you forward. He has given you a remarkable gift of speaking the truth in love. Your friendship is one of my most valuable treasures. Love you Brother. {Big NOD!}

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters