Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Newsboys


Last night's Newsboys concert got me closer to happy. It always takes me a while to recover from an Angels elimination and this year, for many reasons, was especially harsh. But even though the band only played for about 1:15, it was a wonderful time. God was praised. The Word was preached. The music rocked. A large group of local Christians came together and raised voices and hands. And my son was there.

He had a tough time. Even with his "monster-truck-goin'" earphones on, the music was too loud for him, especially at first. I like it loud, but the look on his face reminded me of Greg's reaction to a similar show. We discussed taking him out. But just about the time it looked like he'd had enough, it was time for "Breakfast."

As you Newsboys fans know, when the band plays "Breakfast in Hell," a lot of people start throwing Cap'n Crunch around. 'Cause, y'know, when the toast has burned and all the milk has turned, and Captain Crunch is waving farewell...when the big one finds you may this song remind you that they don't serve breakfast in hell. So the family in front of us turns around and shares their big box of Cap'n Crunch with us. James gets great big fistfuls and starts throwing them skyward. 7-year-old bliss. (By the way, I believe that the difference between the "Cap'n" of cereal fame and the "Captain" sung about in the song is attributable to the lead singer's Australianness. And the fact that I spent time pondering that says more about me than about him.)

There were only a couple of songs left after that, including one where the drummers platform rises on hydraulic lifts high off the stage, does a full 90 degree turn so that the top of his head is now pointing straight at the audience, and begins to spin. So now he's drumming and spinning while sitting on what ought to be the wall. James thought that was pretty cool. Heck, I thought that was pretty cool.

As I've said before, I love going to concerts. Getting to share that love with my son for the first time was something I'll never forget. I just hope he remembers the music, the cereal, and the spinning drummer, and not the initial pain in his eardrums.

4 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger tonymyles said...

Something tells me that you may personally laugh at this: http://www.atom.com/spotlights/kung_fu_election/

Not for kids, though.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Thanks a LOT, Tony. Y'know, I DO have a paper due on Thursday. How am I going to get it done NOW??

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

Your "pondering" that Australian accent reminded me of the line in Dumb and Dumber and also gave me a laugh this evening.

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Newsboys! Wish I could have been there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters