Friday, September 19, 2008

Heaven on Earth

I'm not here to start an argument.

I'm really not.

The truth is, all of the following stuff falls under the category of "it really doesn't matter all that much." Then why bother? Because I can think of far worse ways to spend my time than reflecting on the eternity we look forward to spending with our Father in Heaven.

Just where that Heaven might be is a question I've been pondering. The theory has been around for a long time, but has grown in popularity of late, that the paradise we are promised will actually be a remade earth. God will recreate, remake, restore this world to its original intent and He will live here with His people. The "new earth" of which the Bible speaks will be this earth, made new.

I remember a dear old gentleman at church who was presented with this theory. It's the only time I've ever seen him angry. "It says 'a new heaven and a new earth!" he kept saying, and eventually shouting. He walked to his car that day muttering it over and over. But does "new" mean "different?" Might not "new" mean "changed?" Is the idea resisted because it is foreign...because we have such distaste for this earth...or because we just think it's wrong?

Paul told the church at Thessalonica that we will be caught up together to meet our Lord in the air. (By the way, did you know that the Greek word used for "caught up" translates to the Latin "raptus" from which we get the term "rapture?" It has nothing to do with extreme joy, but rather with being caught up to meet our Lord. If you knew it, you're smarter than me. I didn't find out until last night's class.) But once we are "caught up," do we stay up? What if, like meeting a Head of State, we go up to meet and accompany back down? This would actually fit the language and context Paul was using.

And how about the image Luke gives us of two men together in a field on that day: one is taken and one is left behind. Whoever said that we wanted to be the one taken? Might we not rather be the one left? Is being taken preferable? When God last rained judgment down on the world, weren't Noah and his family happy to be the only ones left??

Okay, okay, I don't even agree with everything I just wrote. But I've enjoyed playing around with it in my mind. Because as I do, I am setting my sights on things above (heh, so to speak) and I'm thinking about those promised days to come. Days when we live with our Creator in perfect shalom. Days when we live and move and breathe in the company of our Lord, our Savior, our Friend.

4 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff to think about, but it can drive one crazy... :)

One thing for sure, God will provide a place for us far better than we can even imagine...if it's a renewed earth, then that's the perfect place.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

My last series of sermons at Long Beach was on "Death, Dying, and Destiny." Turned out to be a very popular (I think) study with the family there. The CDs are available for just four easy payments of only ... just kidding!

I'd never given any thought to the renewal / regeneration of earth, but it seems to fit many, many passages that didn't make sense in any other context. Even the vision of heaven in Revelation has the "New Jerusalem" coming down from God's dwelling place to earth.

I'm with you ... this falls into a category over which we don't need to get dogmatic and draw lines of fellowship, but it is interesting stuff to ponder.

Randy Alcorn's book, "Heaven" was very interesting. Don't agree with all he wrote, but it sure was fodder for thought. I'd recommend it ... as if you have time to read yet another book!

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I heard your thoughts presented at Pepperdine (perhaps he owes you some royalties?) by Rick Acthley. In the course of his lessons he said there will be animals in "the new earth / Heaven." Then he paused and said, "Well, maybe not cats."

Half the Smothers audience cheered while the other half moaned.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

Note to Cecil and Rick Atchley: In my best Fonzie voice and with a frown, "Hey-y-y-y-y! :)

Steve, I wonder about lots of stuff, too, but like you said........

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters