Monday, September 15, 2008

Full Time Preacher

The College Church is in the process of hiring a full-time minister. That position has been unfilled for about 11 years. As one of the people who has been preaching during that time, I have conflicting emotions.

I'm excited. I have felt for some time that something is missing when there isn't a single person doing that job. Whomever we hire will have the freedom to preach on whatever he chooses and he can decide whether to preach stand-alone sermons or a continuing series. My friend Jim has spent 2008 preaching on Genesis 1-11. Amazing! What better way to have discussions about the Creation Mandate, about God's love and plan for mankind, about sin and grace?

I'm anxious. I know I shouldn't be...God has the situation well in hand...but we've been doing things a certain way for a long time. The new minister will have to win over a congregation that is used to a variety of voices.

I'm even a tad envious. I've reached the point where I truly enjoy preaching and, even though I'll still have the occasional opportunity, I'll miss it. Fortunately, there are always classes to teach and my seminary work will keep my plenty busy.

Yesterday we had our first candidate preach for us and teach our class afterward. I was so grateful that he began by asking us to talk about what was preached and not just who did the preaching. He knew the Word and definitely had something to say. I don't know if he is the man that God has selected for us, but I certainly enjoyed meeting him and hearing from him. We are likely to have someone else visiting us soon and I look forward to hearing what he has to say as well. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have more than one excellent person from whom to choose.

Please continue to pray.

5 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

I don't envy any church going through this process. It's tough on everyone involved!

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

Praying.........

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Glad to know it went well. It is in my prayers.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Ah the wonderful time of a preacher search. We'll keep you and the College folks in our prayers.

BTW - Don't let first impressions have too much say. When Greg came to Rocklege I was one of the few people that voted against him.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Point being, Cecil?

Just kidding, Greg.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters