Monday, August 25, 2008

A Very Brady Blog

We were blessed with an amazing barbecue this weekend, courtesy of the finest barbecuer this side of the Mississippi. Brady's folks cooked up an amazing meal and we got to share it with great friends. We had time to get better acquainted with "Son #1" and "Daughter." I was especially interested in their tales of European education. Guess what? It's different from US education. We had wonderful conversation and enjoyed laughing and sharing together.

On Sunday, Brady shared his third of four sermons on the subject of faith. For some reason, I tend to remember Brady's sermons more than most and this was one I won't forget soon. He spoke bluntly and beautifully of faith in the face of death. There are lots of times that I remember thinking how much a sermon made me want to die, but it was true this time for a different reason. Without death, of course, we can never go home. We would forever remain aliens in a foreign land. I mean the following as a compliment: Brady's words reminded me of a great line by Admiral James T. Kirk. "How we face death is at least as important as how we face life."

But it was that life of which Brady spoke most highly. He challenged me by presenting the idea that death is unnatural. Only life is natural. In a world that tries to help people find peace by explaining that nothing is MORE natural than death, it was of great comfort to hear somebody proclaim the opposite. In Christ we have life, and that abundantly.

Brady and family will leave us all to soon, but what joy it has been to see them and spend time with them.

3 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger Meowmix said...

I appreciate the theme of that sermon, as well. Thanks for sharing it. I know of one other preacher I've heard say similar things about death.............

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Thank you for sharing Brady's words. I would love to be there with you which would provide me the chance to meet you, Lisa, James, Brady, and his family.

Did he bring any Swiss Chocolate with him?

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger stephruns said...

isn't it wonderful when the fellowship is as good as the meal!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters