Friday, August 15, 2008

Aaaaaaaaaaand we're back...

Our long, national, blogless nightmare is over.

For now.

Two more meetings and my first week back will be finished. Kids return to school on Monday. I have a fantastic schedule this year of Calculus and Algebra II. After a year of Freshman Algebra I (shudder) I am really looking forward to it. I also look forward to catching up on my blogging. I know my blog buddies are all still out there, but I haven't been checking in much. All that is about to end.

Somebody asked me recently if I blog at work and the answer is, yeah, pretty much only at work. Is that how your tax dollars are being spent, you might wonder. Again...yeah. My rationale/excuse is as follows.

My students are assigned to groups. They learn better that way and if I keep up with the classroom discipline, they use the time together well. But a good number of kids aren't used to learning this way. They have been conditioned to raise their hands every time they have a question. So my policy is that, once the assignment has been given, they may only ask questions of each other for the first ten minutes. There are exceptions of course, but generally I have to occupy myself with something else or I will jump to their rescue too quickly. Sometimes that "something else" is grading, sometimes it's lesson planning. Sometimes it's blogging.

So as the assignments begin to flow next week, I will probably be around a bit more often.

As a concluding sidenote, I have to mention how nice it will be to be able to catch up with Brady's blog by actually talking to Brady. It's so great to have him and Stephanie in town and to get to hear his preaching this month. He is a great preacher...and a better man.

4 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

aaaaand he can run a mile much faster than you.

(missed you)

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

wendy - faster than all of us.

Good to have you back Bro. We're scheduled to start Monday as well unless "potential" Hurricane Fay comes our way.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Meowmix said...

Whatever the reasons, glad to see you are alive and well and back on the airwaves!

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

BTW - I like that 10 minute rule and may borrow it if you don't mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters