Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Shack

When a new "book phenomenon" sweeps the nation, I am always skeptical. The reason for said skepticism is the fact that I am routinely disappointed by said phenomena.

Case in point: "The Prayer of Jabez."

Ugh.

I just remember turning page after page of that thing thinking, "Really? Really??"

But "The Shack" is something different. No, it wasn't the greatest literature of all time. I mean, I'm reading "East of Eden" right now and that is some fine reading, my friends.

And yeah, I had plenty of problems with tone and theology. Even while I was reading it, I wasn't loving it.

But here's the thing. I keep thinking about it. And I keep quoting it. And it has firmly crept into my spiritual perception. So I have to give more than a little credit. The truth is, if somebody asked me if I would recommend it, I would have to say Yes.

So, as Belloq said to Indy: "Do as you will."

6 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed "The Shack." It was a bit challenging trying to picture the Father, Son and Holy Ghost in bodily form (especially the ones given in the book) , but overall, I think I liked it best because it stretched me and my perception of God a little bit more and that's usually always a good thing.

Kim

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I just have to say that I don't recall being tagged. Thought I dodged that bullet. ?

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another blog I follow by John Dobbs had an entry about "The Shack", and I have this book on my to-buy list. Dobbs' son, John Robert, a teenager, recommended it to his father. Please keep Bro. Dobbs and family in prayer...their son died in April.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Micah Foster said...

hey, thanks for the kind words. I was just watching a video about "the Shack"...this is what Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK65Jfny70Y&eurl=http://voxpopnetwork.com/vision/

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I was 2 years behind on the "Velvet Elvis" so I'll try to pick up "The Shack" a little sooner.

 
At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been how many days since this blog entry? NINE days...almost 10?? We're getting shakey here...bring out the defibrilator! Or better "drugs" for the withdrawal sx!! (That's for "symptoms" gang")

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters