Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Fabio


When you expect to be surprised by God, can it still be called a surprise?

A couple of weeks ago, we learned of a foreign exchange student from Germany named Fabio. He spent the school year in nearby Visalia but wasn't able to stay with his host family after the last day. Having already planned a trip to New York before returning home, he needed a place to live for 12 days. So God sent him to us.

I believe that there are times when we need to really be paying attention to see God's hand at work. And there are other times when we'd have to be completely blind to miss it.

The first night that Fabio stayed with us was the night of Calcfest 2008. 18 AP Calculus students descended upon Casa de Thurman for an evening of pizza, games, and very loud karaoke singing. At one point, with apparently nothing better to do, my students prevailed upon me to learn the "Soldja Boy" dance. What we won't do for our kids.

Aaaaaanyway, these wonderful, extroverted, caring young people embraced Fabio (quite literally in many of the girls' cases) and they became instant friends. Instead of worrying about what he was going to do for the 12 days he was with us...and out of school...we saw him spending every day and most evenings with a great group of kids. Even on Sundays, even though he was only with us for two of them, Fabio enjoyed spending time with our youth group. He instantly loved (as I did) our Youth Minister, Brandon, and was influenced by his teaching.

This past Sunday, after church, he went to one last party with his new friends. Afterwards, he was pretty broken up. He was to leave for New York the next day and, though incredibly grateful for the time he got to spend here, he was just so sad that he had to leave so soon. So we talked together, hugged and cried together, and ended up in his room just the three of us: he, Lisa, and me. After a time, he looked over at me and said he needed a favor. I told him, of course, anything. "I've never accepted Jesus as my savior," he said.

"Well, I guess we should take care of that, then," I told him.

And we did. The three of us. Or, I guess, the four of us.

Fabio's having a great time in New York right now, determined to save his sleeping until he gets home. Please pray for him. He's a very "American" kid and won't find a lot of fellowship in Germany. We'll keep in touch as best we can and I'll text and e-mail him through his new Bible a bit. But he is in God's hands.

He stayed with us for 12 days and we already miss him so much.

(Addendum: Through technology I could not possibly comprehend and I suspect to be of extraterrestrial origin, a picture of Fabio in front of the Statue of Liberty just appeared on my cell phone. Though there may be magiks involved, I will attempt to share it with you in the future.)

9 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

(goosebumps)

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

Your previous blog was titled, "Story" and this blog is a wonderful story! Did you plan this all along just to make your blog shine?? :)

Over the years I've known several exchange students from Germany and they were all great kids.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Meowmix said...

Ditto Wendy.

Prayers for Fabio.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I've got some Swiss people who need to spend a couple of weeks with you guys.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just when I needed some Divine confirmation to keep going in placing exchange students in area homes, HERE IT IS!! YAY GOD!!

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Are you interested in hosting a French student for 3 weeks in July? If so, call Ben or Carolynn Flores at (559) 298-2901 home or (559) 930-3609 cell for more information.

We've done this the last 2 summers and it's great! They've got a few last students they need to place ASAP or they will be turned away.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

I wanted to mention - fab dress, Lisa!

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DITTO, again, the goosebumps...and that amazing dress!!

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Micah Foster said...

that's awesome steve...what's strange is that I got an email from somebody talking about foreign exchange students...and they linked to your blog post...I was like, "Hey, I know that guy!" Awesome job Steve...glad to see God at work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters