Thursday, May 15, 2008

Tuesday and Wednesday in Maui

There's simply too much to do here for a daily update. We are very tired and very happy.

We spent most of Tuesday lazing on the beach. Since we have plans to go on a snorkeling adventure tomorrow, we thought we should practice, newbies that we are. It took some time to get used to breathing underwater, but we finally got the hang of it and got to see some coral life up close. When we go for real, we are told there will be sea turtles. Duuuuuude.

That night we were taken to a nearby sugar plantation for island entertainment and yet another amazing meal. The cutest little hula dancers you ever saw (cute as in "little girls" not cute as in...oh, nevermind) draped us with necklaces and later danced for everyone. There was an incredible sunset unlike any we've ever seen as we viewed it from the southernmost tip of the island.

This morning we ate a big breakfast and were driven an hour or so to a hiking trail. We were told the hike was only two miles, but with all the up-and-down and back-and-forth it certainly felt longer. In all, we passed five beautiful waterfalls and stopped to enjoy four of them for a good while.

Note: waterfall pools are not warm.

We spent a little time swimming in two of the pools and eventually made our way back to the resort in time to clean up and go to dinner. Tonight was family style sushi and Japanese food. It was elegant, it was delicious, and since I was surrounded by people who don't like eel, I had way more than I needed to eat.

Tomorrow is our last full day. Check back to see if we survived the snorkeling.

5 Comments:

At 4:20 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Great picture of you and Lisa.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

I'm in the middle of a book entitled One Month to Live. No, I'm not sick, but the premise of the book is how would you alter your life IF you only had one month to live. They urge you to figure that out and then live that way anyway. Howsomever, the point to this comment is somewhere in this book, I've read some stuff about scuba diving/snorkeling, and the fact that you do not ever hold your breath while under water. I'm CERTAIN you already know that. I just thought it amusing I just read that this morning, and now you're going scuba diving!! It IS a great picture. Glad you're having a good time.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

I know what southern style sushi is ... it's dipped in batter and deep fried! I've never heard of "family style" sushi??? We used to snorkel and scuba a lot in years gone by and I absolutely loved it! Except for the sushi, it sounds like you're having a great time!

 
At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo-o-o-o...sushi...do they have "Hawaiian Rolls"? Like California Rolls? You can have all the eel. Did you have Saki?

Snorkeling...did that off-shore from Cancun. Was doing fine until I found myself in the middle of a huge school of big pink fish. Since I don't like being in water over 4 feet deep, unless I'm on water skis - TWO skis - (I was in DEEP water at the time with fins and floatation jacket and waterwings), I kind of went into a panic. But have done NO scuba diving...no way, no how!! But the coral is beautiful...and all the different colored fish. THIS is where God showed us how artistic he is!

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to say...lovely pics! You are a very good photographer!! The sunset over the Pacific was just gorgeous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters