Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Maui

It's almost time to go to Maui.

There's so much to look forward to. Beach time. Boogie boarding. Snorkeling. A waterfall hike. Dinner at a 5-star restaurant. And, of course, the 140 ft. waterslide at the hotel.

I've been telling my students for some time that I would be gone for the entire week. I want to prepare them for the week of review work and to hammer it into their brains that I will not_be_pleased if the sub isn't treated with tremendous respect. In 1st period today, one of my freshmen asked, "Is it this week or next week that you're going to be gone?"

I'm not kidding. I don't make this stuff up.

I told him that he'd know I was gone when, y'know, I wasn't there.

I have to admit though, that I'm trying hard not to think about going a whole week without seeing my boy. That sweet smile that greets me in the morning and that "I love you, Daddy" that I hear at bedtime are far more precious than the most beautiful Hawaii sunset.

Oh, I'm still going. I'm just saying.

8 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Ah, student wisdom. Don't you also love it when the same students who ask you "why did you GIVE them a F," who never do homework, who never study for tests, and who's default answer after not paying attention is, "I don't understand any of this stuff," are the same ones constantly asking you to leave the classroom for this or that!

Can I just shout, "Hello, anyone home?" BTW Math Bro, if you're not taking James to Maui, can I tag along?

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

A sweet smile and a bedtime "I love you, Daddy" on the one hand........and Hawaiian breezes on the other. What choices!!

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Completely understand.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger tonymyles said...

Maui, huh?

I am... um... "not" jealous.

Not at all.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

Me neither. Who needs sun and pristine beaches and five star dinners and WAAAH I WANNA GO!

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Swan Man said...

I think some of those students grew up and work at my company now. Sometimes age doesn't change anything...

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger The Weaver's said...

Dude, I totally get it. You did not even need to tell me that student was a freshmen.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Aah, yes, you'll miss your sweet boy. But you'll also have a great time. Looking forward to seeing YOUR reverse-raccoon pix!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters