Thursday, April 24, 2008

Somebody Please Help Me

I'm so new to the whole "American Idol" thing that when somebody starts talking about "AI," I still think they are referring to Artificial Intelligence. And then Ryan Seacrest's face fills up my widescreen and I find that I am still thinking about artificial intelligence.

I'm still thrown by the Michael Johns Incident. I thought he was loaded with talent...not the best vocalist, but very popular singers get by with far fewer chops. I also detected a notable swoon in the studio audience (and my living room) when he came on stage. So I felt he was getting the popular vote as well as the talent vote. But "Dream On" was a bad choice and he had to go.

Last night there wasn't a doubt in my mind that Brooke and Jason would occupy those sad, metal stools. Jason's version of "Memories" was awkward and painful and Brooke, bless her heart, had to start over for the second time this season. And even then, her vocals were tense and strained. Syesha showed a real gift for musical theater. I could honestly see her headlining with Audra McDonald. Carley gave one of her best performances, finally erasing the wrinkle in the middle of her brow and having a good time. The Davids were the Davids.

So naturally Syesha and Carley got the lowest number of votes and Carley ended up going home. I truly need somebody to explain this all to me.

People will go see "Saw" in droves but not "Charlie Wilson's War?" "According to Jim" runs for 23 seasons and "Firefly" gets 14 episodes?? Terrell Owens??? Rap music???? Paris HILTON?????

I just don't get it. And don't even get me started on the Pennsylvania Primaries.

6 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Blogger The Weaver's said...

It's one thing to watch it. It's another to admit to watching it. To BLOG about it... oh man.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

The truth is, the people leaving at this point will still have success in the business because they are pretty darn good to have come this far. Some producer somewhere will pick them up and give them a chance to do what they love. In fact, to not be the #1 winner has its advantages as they are not as "tied" to Idol requirements as the actual winner. She'll be fine. And don't feel poorly about yourself...we were all surprised. Jason needs to go. Cute and all, lovely sweet personality, but not the best singer.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Josh Stump said...

This is your punishment for watching "reality" tv. I'm sorry to say, you had this coming.

Also, you had me at the end of your rant until "rap music."

"What about Jim"? "Two and a Half Men"? These go on mercilessly, but no Arrested Development? There is no accounting for American taste.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

Sorry, bro, but Carly needed to go weeks earlier. She did nothing for me vocally or visually. That said, I was almost as shocked as Brooke that she was safe for the week. As much as I love her voice and her faith, she has gone from very good to disappointing the past few weeks. I think David Cook will take the whole thing but as the season progresses, I become less and less interested in it.

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I thought of the Denver Nuggets "A.I." when I heard that phrase. I've watched a little "A.I." and have been amazed at who America is voting for.

I'd rather watch something a little more realistic like Professional Wrestling.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

"According to Jim" is a great show and is on a great network (ABC), that also has shows like "LOST" and "Pushing Daisies". Unlike "Firefly", which was on FOX, the same network that brings you reality shows that destroys people's marriages. I hope that answers that question. Good luck finding the answers to your other questions.

Breaking news: 14-2 is the final score to the A's win over the Angels on Monday night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters