Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Deeper Thoughts

Every other day, I write a new Deep Thought (by Jack Handey) on the white board in my classroom. Today it says:

"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven and pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, ummmm boy."

Jack Handey, by the way, wrote the funniest thing I had read in quite some time that I referenced in a previous post. I love that brand of offbeat, non sequitur humor. Even more, I love watching my students come in and read them, often with extremely puzzled expressions. Many of them finish the year thinking that I am writing my own serious thoughts on the board to share with the world. Some of them wonder what they mean. Some of them think I'm clearly insane. A few of them laugh.

I actually can be a deep thinker sometimes. I mean, I have my moments. But I probably have more moments when I'm watching baseball or reading about Spider-man or crying from laughter after watching somebody bonk their head on "America's Funniest Home Videos." There is a time for everything, after all. A time to ponder eschatology and a time to trade funny faces with a seven-year-old. A time to examine Greek word origins and a time to slide on wood floors.

I believe that we can draw closer to God through deep study and intense, thoughtful dialogue. I also believe that He created the duck-billed platypus for a reason.

4 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I loved that - definitely, choose pie heaven.

You have an amazing opportunity to influence so many kids. You are reaching them in more ways than just math. God will surely save you a big piece of pie.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

“I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching.”

Jack Handy
and True

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Meowmix said...

God has a sense of humor, hence that platypus........and lots of other things!

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I loved his column about art suggestions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters