Friday, February 15, 2008

Geeked Out Fanboy

I was thinking about what my life was like when the LAST Indiana Jones trailer came out, some 17 years ago or so. There were a lot of differences, but none so significant as this: the last time, I wasn't able to prop my son up on my knee and say, "Watch this!"

I must have watched the new trailer 20 times yesterday (often giggling like a madman) but my favorite time, even more than the first time, was the one where James saw the hat and the whip and happily murmured, "Indianda Jones!" That's not a typo, by the way, that's how he says it and I love it too much to correct him.

If you've seen the trailer already, then you know how super-cool it is. Harrison can still pull it off, God bless him, and they haven't forgotten how to make an Indiana Jones movie look like an Indiana Jones movie. Sure, there's some CGI this time (more on that in a minute), and a lot more grey hair, but it's all good because Indy can still swing high, punch hard, and crack wise as well as whips. I'm wild about all the stuff in the warehouse and there's an actual Roswell sighting too!

If you follow the above link to the trailer, you'll see something different than what was on TV, websites, and in American theaters yesterday. There are two significant differences between this trailer (the "director's cut") and the one pervading the airwaves (etherwaves?). First off, the one on the official website, Yahoo, and elsewhere has an American flag cut separating the "old Indy" stuff and the "new Indy" stuff. Huh? What's that got to do with what? I mean, Indy fights Nazis and, now, Cold War Russians. So, I guess it makes sense. Still...huh?

But the second difference troubles me more. And, yes, I'm a nitpicky fanboy and many of you have moved on already because I've got my Indy on and when I do, I tend to ramble but what are you gonna do? If you can download an HD version of the trailer or slowmo it on an HD tv, you'll notice some weird things going on in the scene where Indy and his chubby pal (Ray Winstone) have their hands up and are surrounded by soldiers. Winstone's pants have been CGI'd, as well as Indy's shirt pocket, some soldiers' legs, and other things. It's unnoticeable in a regular viewing but if you watch the thing enough times...or slow it down frame-by-frame which you just knew I'd do, didn't you?...it's painfully obvious. Now, if you've watched the linked trailer, you won't see any of that. You'll see...wait for it...guns. Right, guns. They CGI'd the guns out of that scene. Before the movie has even opened, they've already ET'd the darn thing!

I have some thoughts about what those additions/deletions say about America...or at least about the MPAA...but I'll keep them to myself. Instead, I'll just revel in the glow of new Indy and begin the countdown until midnight, May 22.

"Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory."

7 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

As of May, my "complete" Indiana Jones DVD trilogy will be incomplete.

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate snakes too!

Mase

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

I can just hear James the next time you play some board game - "I'm very little! You cheat very big!"

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Short-Round was always my favorite!

I, too, have a near-morbid fear of snakes...but I STILL watched.

Let me show my ig-nance agin'...GCI means...what??

I...CAN'T... WAIT!!! (Are you really going to take James?)

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

CGI = Computer Generated Imaging...or something like that.

James won't get to see this one in the theaters. He'll wait for DVD and watch it with me, with his eyes covered at the appropriate times.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger The Weaver's said...

So I assume there will be no AP Calc offerings at SHS the day this opens?

 
At 4:15 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Going to the cinema has never been the same since I saw Raiders.

That memory is deeply embedded in me…

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters