Thursday, January 24, 2008

Worship

The ZOE Group comes to town tomorrow!

I look forward so much to this one weekend of the year. It's a wonderful family reunion. But more than that, it's a special time devoted to study and worship. There was a time in my life when I truly didn't know what worship was. I went through certain rituals that I probably would have labeled as "worship," but I only passed time with them because it was what I thought I should be doing. Over time came maturity, awakening, and finally a genuine relationship with my Creator that not only demanded true worship but gave me great joy in it.

I'm so grateful that ZOE combines periods of study with worship because the two are inseparable. Worship without study (in Dallas Willard's words) "is of limited value and can be very dangerous. We may develop 'a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge.' (Rom. 10: 2)" Study without worship is probably even worse. Few of us have to think too hard to come up with examples of it. In either case, we are talking about acts of pride. If I worship God without trying to grow closer to Him through study of His Word, it may begin as an outward expression of love, but it will invariably turn inward, continuing on only because it feels good to do so. And if my study progresses without praise and worship, then my true motivation is to know more than someone else, to be right where they are wrong. If my worship is pure and real, then it will drive me to know more about the Being I worship and to draw closer to Him. If my study is selfless, how can I not praise??

In his book, "A Long Obedience in the Same Direction," Eugene Peterson uses Psalm 122 to teach about the importance of worship.

I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord." Our feet are standing in your gates, O Jerusalem. Jerusalem is built like a city that is closely compacted together. That is where the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord, to praise the name of the Lord according to the statute given to Israel. There the thrones for judgment stand, the thrones of the house of David.

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: "May those who love you be secure. May there be peace within your walls and security within your citadels." For the sake of my brothers and friends, I will say, "Peace be within you." For the sake of the house of the Lord our God, I will seek your prosperity.

Here's the Psalm from Peterson's "Message" version:

When they said, "Let's go to the house of God," my heart leaped for joy. And now we're here, O Jerusalem, inside Jerusalem's walls! Jerusalem, well-built city, built as a place for worship! The city to which the tribes ascend, all God's tribes go up to worship, To give thanks to the name of God - this is what it means to be Israel. Thrones for righteous judgment are set there, famous David-thrones.

Pray for Jerusalem's peace! Prosperity to all you Jerusalem-lovers! Friendly insiders, get along! Hostile outsiders, keep your distance! For the sake of my family and friends, I say it again: live in peace! For the sake of the house of our God, God, I'll do my very best for you.


Peterson's observation that "worship is the single most popular act in this land" took me by surprise. But it's true (...from a certain perspective...). On any given Sunday, there are more people at worship than at any other single activity. But why? And to what end? The "Message" translation brings out three concrete reasons to worship.

Worship gives us a workable structure for life. It takes things that seem out of place, a life that seems bereft of order, and gives it a framework based on what is real. When I praise God, I remember Who is in charge and what is truly important.

Worship nurtures our need to be in relationship with God. It reminds us that God is always there, no matter our highs or our lows. I may not feel like worshiping Him, but that doesn't mean that my soul doesn't need to. In fact, when I worship Him at times I don't want to, I often find my want catching up with my need.

Worship centers our attention on God's decisions. When we are surrounded by "David-thrones," it makes judgments which are based on pettiness and ego fall away. My wisdom is nothing when compared to God's wisdom. Worship lifts me up. It also puts me in my place.

3 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Thanks for the thoughts. I know the weekend will be a blessing. I love that book by Peterson, and have preached that Ps 122 lesson.

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Wish we could be there not only to finally meet you and the "fam," but to also see what God will do this weekend.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger preacherman said...

Great thoughts on worship!
Thanks for sharing this great post with us. It has been encouraging and uplifting. I know that ZOE will be a blessing this weekend. God bles you brother.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters