Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Very Disney Christmas


Disneyland at Christmastime is something to see. You have to be impressed with the amount of work that goes into changing over the whole park. Lights and ornaments are everywhere. In some cases, the industrious Disney drones have given complete makeovers to popular attractions. The Haunted Mansion, for instance, is now "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas' The Haunted Mansion." I can't even imagine the number of man hours involved in the Yuletide transformation.

And therein lies an important difference between men and women. I walked around with a dropped jaw, amazed at how much work had been done. Lisa and James enjoyed the pretty lights. I think they were better off than me.

We had a great time, overall. The qualification is due to the stresses of doing anything with a six-year-old boy. Here's a question to those of you familiar with six-year-old boys: Do they ALL climb on everything? 'Cause I remember being six, but I don't remember all the climbing. And hanging. And jumping. And there is a great deal to climb on/hang from/jump over in The Magic Kingdom (tm).

Our boy has been a bit of a challenge lately, thus the easy choice of making Greg the winning entrant in the last contest. There really are times that shipping him off in a box seems like the right thing to do, the sane thing to do.

Congrats are due here to Randy, so confident of his status that he didn't even need to submit an entry there at the end. Randy, you are hereby granted the title "Caption Master." Honors and privileges already at the age of forty......something.

(Which reminds me that my current favorite line in "A Christmas Story" is: "Then you used up all the glue...on PURPOSE!")

We are working hard as parents to correct our boy's oft-errant behavior while simultaneously keeping our heads from exploding. It's exhausting work, but we are plowing through it. And, no, it's not the climbing/hanging/jumping. We accept that as the nature of the beast. It's the defiance/disobedience/tantrum-throwing that is more the problem. But it's a phase right? Please tell me it's just a phase.

Because we have plenty of boxes. And we know most of your addresses.

7 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger twinmommy said...

Steve... I know you're a teacher and probably have lots of tools for controlling unruly kids... but have you thought about the Love and Logic parenting classes? Our church offered them as a service to the community and you should have seen the people show up! (And it's kind of nice to sit there and be able to think... Okay, my kid's not THAT bad.)

But seriously. Look into it... we've learned lots.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Meowmix said...

If I remember correctly, mine and Greg's captions were similar. I demand a recount..........or at least a tie! :)

Seriously, glad you are having a good time. And, yes, I believe all 6-year-old boys climb on everything, some more than less!!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

It's a phase...well I am not sure exactly, but that was what you wanted me to say. Right?

I fairly certain you do not have my address, so I am not concern. If I ever get a package from the Thurmans, I just going to write "return to sender" and be on my merry way. :o)

I agree, Disneyland at Christmas time is great!!!

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on amazement at everything behind the scenes and how it all works. We go to a concert and Beth is taken by the event and I'm drooling all over the equipment and the lights, etc.

Glad you guys were able to spend that good quality time - good memories, great memories.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Phase yes, over - no.
Wait till he starts driving something other than a box. Enjoy these times Dad.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I'm safe, I think. Airmail is way expensive for shipping a kid.

That's so cute about you thinking that it will end. So cute…

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Bill Williams said...

Sorry for the the off topic comment. But, as we turn our hearts toward family and friends during the Christmas holiday, I wanted to let you to know that I am thankful for blessing of many new friends I’ve come to “know” here in blogland. The tie that binds us is our shared love for and devotion to the Savior whose birth we remember during this special time of the year. May your days be full of holiday blessings; and, may your heart be filled with the warmth of His presence.

Blessings,
-bill
Spiritual Oasis Blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters