Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving

Years ago, when he was still doing stand-up, Steve Martin hosted a few variety specials. On one of them, he listed some wild and crazy things for which he was thankful. For instance, Steve was thankful that little children don't burst into flames when you say the number 4. This list was one of many reasons that I grew to love Steve Martin.

The following list is far less silly (though I think with a government grant I could make it a lot more silly...sorry...Python...), but reflects where I am this Thanksgiving Day.

I am thankful for a loving Lord, for an incredible wife, for a sweet, funny boy, for a great family and loyal friends. There's a reason that it sounds cliche to say those things. If you are very aware of God's blessings, you can't help but be grateful for Him and for the people He puts in your life.

I am thankful for a time of life when He has turned my attention towards serving Him in new ways. I'm grateful for options.

I am thankful for baseball, in particular for Torii Hunter. I can't believe the Angels signed him, I have no idea what they're up to (well, I have an idea), but I like him and he makes my team better. Cool Thanksgiving Day news.

I am thankful for Billy Joel. We saw him perform Monday night and the Piano Man still rocks. Plus, he was funny, personable, and tried very hard to make up a song about Fresno. And he introduced himself as "Billy Joel's dad."

I am thankful for my church. On Sunday, we will all be sitting around tables during our worship time. Later we will all share a meal together. Many (most?) C's of C would never entertain such an idea, but I know that most of our folks will just go with it. I can't wait to share communion around an actual table. What an opportunity.

I am thankful for my wife. Yes, I know, I mentioned her already. She deserves two.

I am thankful, very thankful, for a large extended family of brothers and sisters who love Jesus so much. I am thankful for their support and encouragement, for their thoughtfulness and prayer, for their openness and worship, for their willingness to repent and guide, and above all, for their love.

Give thanks to the Lord, our God and King. His love endures forever.

4 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen...and amen! We are so blessed, also, for you and your family's presence on this earth.

I suffer the sin of envy of you having seen Billy Joel, one of my favorites! He's a giant...he requires his OWN genre. Best song. Anyone? Anyone?? For me, it's "Just the Way You Are"...oh yeah, and "River of Dreams", which has so much spiritual significance.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

Somehow I completely overlooked gratitude that children don't go up in flames at the mention of the number 4! Good reminder!!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've heard about your upcoming experience and wish I could be there.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Meowmix said...

Thanks for sharing your list! So much to be thankful for and, sometimes in my case, so little awareness!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters