Thursday, October 25, 2007

God is Not a Bully

My friend, Arthur, says that and it's one of my new favorite sayings.

God is not a bully.

God does not force Himself upon us.

God chose to give us free will and He stands by that choice every painful moment of every day.

We can choose to make Him Lord of our lives. Or not. We can choose to make Him the center of our marriages. Or not. We can choose to involve Him in our decisions. Or not. We can direct our worship towards Him. Or not. We can recognize Him in sunsets and thunderstorms. Or not. We can keep Him close. We can keep Him at arm's length. Or we can ignore Him entirely.

It's our choice. It truly is.

But all it takes is a word, a thought, a glance in His direction. And He is around us, inside us, through us, speaking to us, listening to us, guiding us, helping us, supporting us. Everywhere. Everywhen.

If you don't believe me, just ask Him.

6 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

"God is not a bully." It seems that God had the "in" on "Choice Theory" way before Bill Glasser thought of it. Jesus inspired, performed miracles, and taught about the nature of God and how we are to respond to it. He left the choice up to us.

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apropos of nothing but my own meanderings... You ever get to Googling random people you remember? Well, I happened to Google "Janine Miskulin"--because I recall that in 6th grade, she was one of my (several) crushes--and your blog post "James" came up.

I lived in Fresno from 1975 to 1978 and attended Starr Elementary and Tenaya Jr. High (7th grade only). We moved back to Bakersfield in '78 and never looked back. Except, of course, for those times I find myself wondering whatever happened to my friends and classmates.

Also, I enjoyed your post about Star Trek V, which I caught the beginning of just yesterday. (Never watched it, btw.) I was a huge "Raiders" fan myself. Anyway, thanks for the memories and take care.

Curtis

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Steve, Thanks for the reminder.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

Great thoughts. Thanks.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

I really enjoyed that. It is true.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger tonymyles said...

(copy)

(paste)

(Sunday sermon)

Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters