Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Comment Corner

As usual, your comments lately have been far superior to anything I've written. I seldom go back and respond to them though. Rather I simply enjoy your wit and wisdom and then blithely return to my own blatherings. ("Blithe blatherings?" Annoyingly alliterative.)

In a feeble effort to make up for this oversight, I now present Comment Corner, a review of responses from recent writings.

(Forgot to turn off the alliteration machine. Sorry. Got it now.) Without further ado...

Responding to "Countdown to Sunday," timeless used the phrase "yeasty times" to describe periods of transition. I liked that. Also that it was coined by a guy named "Nesbitt," a name which will always create Monty Python pepperpot voices in my head.

After "No Thanks Redux," Greg mentioned a urologist named P.P. Peters. Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

The comments to "God Put A Smile Upon My Face" (and, seriously, am I the only Coldplay fan around??) were rich. Wendy quoted Chef. Paraphrased actually. But a Chef reference will always win my love and respect. Brady swore symbolically. Josh said "F'n" and worried about its appropriateness, which is a whole 'nother post. He also incorrectly predicted that the World Series would not be won by Boston. And Randy tempted me with the sin of envy with his announcement that he watched my Angels from a luxury box. Even if I could afford that, or had friends who could, there will be no Angels sightings for many months.

The post also reminded me of the following exchange I shared with James last night:

James: What's 99,000 times 99,000?

Daddy: Wow. I don't know. Something big.

J: I thought you taught math.

D: Oh, yeah, I do. Um, lemme see. 188,000 I think. (I know, not even close. I was eating.)

J: Whooaaaaaaa. That's a biiiiig number!

D: Yup. Y'know, when your uncle was a kid, he used to ask what the last number was.

J: There IS no last number.

D: (Chest puffed up. Eyes brimming with proud tears.) That's right, bud. There isn't!

J: But what's the biggest number?

After "Stay Tuned," Cecil inexplicably (and interestingly) reverted to the old tradition of turning word verifications into phrases. There can be no other explanation for this than a rift in the space-time continuum. I know this is possible because I watch "Heroes."

I did respond to a couple of comments after "Throwing Strikes and Casting Crowns," but the post is notable because it's where Blake began his annoying habit of bashing the Angels. It should be noted that the Blake in question is an A's fan. Yes, an A's fan. As in "one game out of last place and 18 games out of first."

I find this trend interesting (there's that word again, Cecil). The day after Boston swept the Angels in the ALDS, a colleague e-mailed me a picture of a broom. Ha. Ha. Said colleague is a Dodger fan. The Dodgers did not make the playoffs. A friend of mine gave me some grief about the Angels woes after Game 2 of the same series. Said friend is a Royals fan. Yes, they exist. The Royals did not make the playoffs.

The preceding sentence is the most obvious one I have ever written.

Late in the season, the Angels led all Major League teams in wins. They clinched a postseason berth with something like 10 games left to play. They were dominant this season. Yet people have prodded me about them because they didn't win their last game. Well, folks, only one team a year gets to win their last game. So let...it...go.

Methinks I doth protest too much. Anyway, in short, Blake, the A's are big fat losers. Nyahh nyahh.

It was Randy who wins the "Best Comment" award in this edition for his heartening response to "Sob." I quote:
"My Angels may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.-Psalm 73:26 from the NRV"

Thanks, Randy. That meant a lot to me.

After the last post, "Breaking the Rules," Greg gave me the name of a book I want to read and Brady mentioned one he was reading but neglected to mention the name (Same as Greg? Different? If you like it, chances are good I'll like it.). But this was only after scoring the "Worst Comment" award by suggesting that the Angels should sign Barry Bonds. Brady, my friend, I was there when the Lakers signed Rodman and it put me off basketball for...well...ever. Since I can't think of a way to only watch 1/18th of a baseball game, I hope desperately that your suggestion, made I'm sure in jest, falls on deaf ears.

Imagine the noise I made when Manny hit that game-ending homer. Now amplify it by about a million and you'll have my reaction to signing Bonds.

So that wraps up the first edition of Comment Corner. Keep 'em coming. There has to be some quality writing around here.


10 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger Meowmix said...

The quality writing is in your blogs, my friend............not from any comment I myself might make. :) Most of the time, I feel honored that ya'll let me comment on your posts! Interestingly, one of my word verifications today was "judin." Must have been somebody who knew me!! :)

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thurman, its me Nhat.

Remember how your house was hit by a car.

Guess what happened to our apartment?

A car crashed into our kitchen.

Nalien, Nalong, Xai and me are alright. Nalien got out of the kitchen seconds before the car came in.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

Bashing the Angels??? Who me? Never. I speak the truth. If the truth is bashing, then it is what it is, my friend. The little fact about where the A's finished this season is sadly true, but so is the A's four world series titles to the Angels one. Also, of the 8 teams that competed in last year postseason, only one team returned this year...that was the Yankees, but we won't talk any more about them. So maybe your team should take Brady's advice and sign Bonds, if you ever want to return to the postseson next year.

I am also concerned by a math teacher answer to 99,000 times 99,000 = 188,000. The excuse is eating??? Well now we know your krypnoite. Well thats Superman's weakness, what's the Green Lanterns'? Running out of green kerosene...no, no thats not it.

Speaking of heroes...Indiana Jones and something something skull is being filmed in Fresno. Starts filming on Thursday at chandler airport in Fresno and at eagle field in Dos Palos.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I thought Randy's comment was heavenly too. And I am honored to receive my award too.

Thank you.

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I don't know what caused me to go blog old school the other day with the word verification post. I did stay in a jnlya the other night.

A much belated "sorry about that" on behalf of your Angels.

I loved the James / largest number story. People used to think I was crazy because I made Steven learn to write his numbers with a decimal point behind each one.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

Classic. I read somewhere that "infinity" is an even number, as the sign looks like an eight on its side...

(I learned something today..."

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT entry, Steve. Having "kids" and extended family all HUGE MP fans, I should have made the connection...but somehow John Naisbitt of "Megatrends" fame just didn't come close to the MP dude. Maybe in opposites...past vs future?

We ARE living in the "time of parenthesis, the time between eras"...
Naisbitt and the Angels, maybe??

I'm surprised you didn't catch that comment before the playoffs that said the Angels "had to go through Boston first!"

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Word verifications are SO FUNNY... mine was qqtlgztl...sounds "aztecan" to me.

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I thought I'd stop by before heading out to work to wish you happy kporil.

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading Brady's comment on Psa. about the "Angels, I was going to relate a similar experience between my Texas redneck Cowboys-idolator cousin - after the "boys" lost a heartbreaker to the 49'ers, I sent him this spirit-boosting scripture from Isaiah 40:29-31.(NIV) (I'm a die-hard niner fan)

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but THOSE WHO HOPE IN THE LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint."

I sent this to him EVERY time the Cowboys lost! I don't EVEN want to parley my cousin's sentiments about me! As for me, I was just trying to cheer him up. Honest. I know for sure that his beautiful Baptist mother would have approved.
(HehHeh)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters