Wednesday, September 26, 2007

God Put A Smile Upon My Face

(With apologies to Coldplay....)

I couldn't help but smile this morning as I walked onto the school grounds and saw some 20 kids standing around the flagpole, holding hands, praying.

Minutes later, I was walking out of the office, towards my classroom. Many students were in groups, talking and yelling as they normally do. The language that teenagers use, loudly, in public, would make my mother faint. I remember when kids were afraid of getting caught using foul language. Now it's the order of the day and they would laugh in my face if I told them to stop. It's not a battle that administration wants to fight, because they can't win it. It's sad, and it erased my smile.

_________________________________________

6-year-olds get very fixated. To wit, this morning's parting conversation:

Me: Bye, bud. Have a great day.

James: I'm going to have 2 corn dogs for lunch today!

Me: Be a good boy, okay?

James: I'm going to have 2 corn dogs!

Me: Sounds great. I love you, dude.

James: With ketchup!

_________________________________________

It's looking like the 2 best teams in baseball are going to square off in a 5-game series to open the playoffs. This still bugs me. I admit the need for the extra round of games, the Wild Card makes it necessary, and I happen to like the Wild Card. But it doesn't seem fair when the fate of the two best teams is decided by a best-3-out-of-5.

I'm also not crazy about having to start the postseason in Fenway. Remember the leprechauns on the rims in the Boston Garden during the 80's? They've moved to the Green Monster.

__________________________________________

Dallas Willard continues to rock my world.

"If people in our Christian fellowships today were to announce that they had decided to keep God's law, we would probably be skeptical and alarmed. We probably would take them aside for counseling and possibly alert other responsible people in the group to keep an eye on them. We would be sure nothing good would come of it. We know that one is not saved by keeping the law and can think of no other reason why one should do it.

This leaves us caught in a strange inversion of the work of the Judaizing teachers who dogged the footsteps of Paul in New Testament days. As they wanted to add obedience to the ritual law to faith in Christ, we want to subtract moral law from faith in Christ. How to combine faith with obedience is surely the essential task of the church as it enters the twenty-first century."

8 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger Meowmix said...

Your conversation with James is similar to some I have with my little Emily. She has a one-track mind, and don't try to get her to switch tracks! :)

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

We try to curtail the foul language at our school but it is a struggle.

Good stuff from Dallas.

I miss those "James" conversations. Keep em coming.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

My BIL makes students who can't watch their language in his class stand outside the door and yell, "I will not use potty words in Mr. Power's class!" They self-enforce now. He also tapes cell phone batteries to his whiteboard.

Secondly, in the (altered) immortal words of Chef, "Aw, children, what can be so bad? It's [corndog] day!"

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I wish I could have a &%ç£! corn dog. With hot mustard.

I very much like the quote. I have it underlined too.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Josh Stump said...

Great post (posts?). I just have to add that:

1. I'm not a huge anti-cursing guy (I just mean it's not a mission of mine), but kids swearing isn't funny. I think that's why I don't watch Southpark

2. It is always amusing when people try to clean up their language by saying things like "That F'n guy cut me off" What is that? (sorry if that's not cleaned up enough for the blog)

3. I love corndogs. I'd take two right now...with ketchup

4. That Willard quote is dead on in my book. Good, good stuff

5. I don't think the WS champ is coming from Boston or NY this year and since the Giants are sniffing the post season, nothing could make me happier.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I sat in a luxury box this Saturday watching your Angels defeat the A's. Take comfort in knowing that I thought of you.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger twinmommy said...

It's October 1st... I'm praying for you, Steve.

 
At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you Brady...Fresno Fair starts soon...shall I send you a few corn dogs?? Mustard...ONLY mustard. I prefer Dijon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters