Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Message

There I was on a recent Wednesday night, innocently teaching from the Psalms, when I happened to casually mention "The Message" by Peterson. I prefaced my remarks with the disclaimer that Peterson was simply paraphrasing the text, putting it in his own words for his own personal benefit. It started with a few psalms, spread through the entire book, and culminated in the entire Bible and publication.

I don't honestly even remember the point to which I was driving (other than that I was going to read the psalm where "enemies" was turned into "hit men"...I love that). All that stands out is the disgusted looks, the barrage of opposition, and the melee which followed.

Now, the truth is, I love the occasional melee. I enjoy hearing people argue their positions, especially on the Bible, with passion and fire. I see my role in those discussions as referee, making sure each side gets heard and that both sides show due respect. My greatest desire is that someone sees something in a new way; my greatest fear is that feelings are hurt and that people equate "study" with "arguing."

I heard the viewpoint that felt that The Message might lead people to a false understanding of God and of The Word, that people would confuse paraphrase for translation. I also heard the viewpoint that anything which makes God more accessible or approachable is good, that reading about Him at all is a good thing. I tried to be fair, but ultimately our own perspectives usually win out. I had to make the point that the Spirit is not dead and that God Himself might have something to say about how He is viewed by the untrained eye. I also pointed out the pleasure I take in simply reading The Message. It's not always poetic, it's not always even good writing, but it is always interesting and fresh.

My favorite comment came from someone who mentioned that she first became acquainted with Christ through "Jesus Christ, Superstar." Certainly the theology there is suspect, but it made her want to learn more about him. Which is, I guess, all any of us really want to do.

In the end, I was disappointed though. I am always able to appreciate a differing opinion. I am never able to appreciate a lack of tolerance for a differing opinion. The discussion, brief though it was, carried far too much of a "right or wrong" feel. I expressed this, of course, but I was still left with the feeling that some people were upset with other people for not seeing things their way.

Alas. I suppose the church will always be growing up.

7 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I feel your pain Bro. Even though we haven't had the type of exchanges that you described for about a year, they are always lurking in the background.

I find it interesting that Jesus never commended anyone's strength of belief on a particular doctrine. Rather, he condemn those who prided themselves on their belief and practice of doctrine.

He did commend (Matt. 25) those who had strength of practicing their beliefs in ministering to others.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

Been there, bro. Don't want to go back. You concluded your blog with the statment, "Alas. I suppose the church will always be growing up." To which I might add ... or not growing up, as the case may be.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

I remember that day. I remember your "disclaimer" and glad you mention it. I do not hate "The Message" because it still has God's message within it and the truths about Christ, but it still feels like I am getting ripped off because its paraphrase. I just hate it when everything has to be modern and "up to date". For example, going from "enemies" to "hit men". Well they probably were not called "hit men" back then and "enemies" is a border term, while hit men is more specific and leaves out many other types of enemies. This may seem little in scheme of things and thats why I do not spend too much of my life arguing over it, but when I'm asked, I just say "no" to paraphrase because we can all paraphrase.

You also mention that night, the "Shake Spear" scripture, which was interesting and something I have shared with others since then.

What really bothered me that night was that you wore the Angels shirt and cap. BOOOO!!! I would of been just fine, if you chose to wear an Oakland Athletics shirt and cap, but Angels are a big no no. :)

Go A's!!!

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Hey, I admit it. Some of us are not very good at argueing arguing (no matter how it's spelled).

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger tonymyles said...

I experienced this recently, too, via the tireless critique of a local thorn in my flesh. Crazy days... but as a fan of Peterson, I hope we blow the stereotypes away by embodying what the Message really is.

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger preacherman said...

I totally understand how you feel. Keep it up. Don't give up. Don't stop. As ministers we have all felt the way you have felt that at times. I want you to Read The Message Philippians 3:12-ff and see if it helps. I know it has helped me. I love the way he puts it in words. It has encouraged me countless times in my ministry. I also would love for you to visit my blog anytime. I will keep you in my prayers and focus on him.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Perhaps you should have lead with Galatians 5:15 (yes, from the Message)

"If you bite and ravage each other, watch out--in no time at all you will be annihilating each other, and where will your precious freedom be then?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters