Monday, August 20, 2007

First Day


Strapped securely to a backpack as big as he is, James strolled into kindergarten today. He was very excited and, according to all reports, had a wonderful day. He got to play in the big play area. He got to take papers to the office for copies. He was the Big Boy on Campus.
Many of my students didn't seem too excited to be here today. The Calculus class was abuzz and a lot of fun. An odd thing about teaching Calc is that those kids all know each other so well that I feel like I'm catching up for the first few weeks. But my freshman Algebra students were quite agitated that summer vacation had the poor taste to end so soon. They seemed especially upset that I would give them homework on the first day. I'm a big meanie.

7 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Your boy is growing up before our eyes. Get ready Dad for it is a quick ride but enjoy it all the way.

H.W. on the first day? I'm impressed.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger tonymyles said...

Dude... homework on the first day? I hope there are secure fences around the teacher's cars. ;)

 
At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy to see the smiles on James' face on his first day of school! It's a new era for him...and for you and Lisa too.

H.W. on the first day...uh...like, welcome to the real world, kids! Good for you, bro'!!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

Sweet, Sweet, Sweet.
Enjoy every minute of it.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

That can not be the boy who noisly filled his diaper when about 48 hours old while Rick was holding him. It just cannot be. Nope.

My co-worker's daughter got homework first day too; it's how you know a teacher is Not Messing Around. And now you get to grade said homework - lucky you!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

You sound like my wife w/ the homework bomb. Our daughter was in her mama's 5th grade class and I went to the principal to complain about the amount of homework! But it is a part of the role of student. By the way, I was browsing through some used books yesterday and actually purchased a book about the five formulas that changed the world. Written by a Harvard Ph.D. in math, it really looked interesting and well written. Will let you know what I think once I actually read it, but just skimming a couple of pages, it looked very interesting.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Homework on the first day? Yikes! It's not enough they have to sit through math, but homework?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters