Thursday, July 12, 2007

"It's a real circus down here,"

said the clown on the floor of the arena just before The Greatest Show on Earth.
Last night we took James to his first circus. Before it began, we were first allowed to see (and smell) the animals as they were groomed and readied for the show. Then we were permitted on the floor to mix with clowns and trapeze artists for a short time. Two clowns put on a little show right in front of James and he was in heaven.

He sat and watched the circus very quietly, sitting forward in his chair from time to time. It began just before his normal bedtime so he was pretty pooped (as were the animal handlers) but he stayed awake through it all. He stoically gazed upon tightrope walkers and performing tigers and extreme bikers and more. He cried when he dropped his half-eaten churro. Still, when it was all over, he said he'd had a great time.
There was a point during the second half that we didn't think he was going to make it. The look on Lisa's face was proof that she would be very, very sad if we had to leave the circus. She scored us some incredible seats and, truth be told, she and I had as much fun as our boy.

I could spring a spiritual analogy on you but, c'mon. We all know that life's a circus. I heard a wise man say this weekend that too many Christians expect a few hours of "church" to counterbalance a week's worth of what life throws at us. Good point, I thought.


6 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

In spite of the SPCA and PETA, I always enjoyed the circus, even the smell.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

Ooooo, I just wanna grab your boy and give him a noogie! Did he fall asleep in the car on the way home?

I always get a pink popcorn at the circus, and watch the trapeze acts through my fingers.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Sleepy little boys and the circus - enjoy these times.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

Awe the smell of the circus. One of the guys I work with said for the first time ever he saw an ad in the paper for employment with "The Greatest Show on Earth". So maybe your son can get a job there if he really likes it. :)

I remember my first circus. I did very well with the clowns, did not cry once. When the final act of these giant double canons happened, I lost it there. Too much bang for me.

Speaking of spiritual reference, I guess when King Jesus comes returns, we will see the true greatest show on Earth...and in the Heavens.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Circuses always scare me. I'm on the edge of my seat all the time.

But I normally understand the clown humor.

Normally.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters