Friday, June 22, 2007

Firsts

Parenting is a series of firsts. First sights, first tastes, first times. One of the things I'm enjoying the most about watching James grow up is getting to share the things I love with him. Yesterday I got to add a new thing to both lists...Lisa and I took James to see the new Fantastic Four movie. It was the first time I went to the movies with my boy and we got to enjoy some good ol' fashioned superhero fun together.

Now, I'm no movie critic, although I am often accused of over-analyzing my movietime fun. And it's a good thing because, if I were, I'd rip the new FF movie apart. Lisa is constantly reminding me that most people aren't the comics geek that I am, and they wouldn't really care that the movie made a mockery of issues 48 through 50. So I've decided instead just to enjoy the fact that we all went to the movies together, were entertained, and had some fun things to chatter about as a family later.

The movie wasn't even over before James leaned over and asked me whether he could watch it on DVD by himself. I explained that we'd have to wait awhile but that he would be able to later. It's a big deal for James to get to watch movies by himself and he usually fixates on one at a time. Currently, it's all about "Flushed Away" which he would watch in a continuous loop if we let him. Instead we encourage him to tear himself away and draw, color, ride his bike, play a game, work a puzzle, play with his Hot Wheels, or any of a hundred other things. Our neighbors are out of town for a month and have given us access to our pool, so we've added one more thing to the list of "Stuff to do With James other than Watch Movies." It's exciting.

One week into summer and it couldn't be greater. Tonight Lisa and I are going to have dinner alone (YAY!) and see "Ocean's Thirteen."

I am, for the record, not ready to go back to school yet. I'll keep you posted on that condition.

3 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I suffer from the same disease!

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

I have the same disease. When I consider taking a part-time job to augment retirement income, I try to lie down until the consideration passes! :)

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I hope the summer vacation lasts foreverā€¦

Wife and I may actually go to a movie this week too. Imagineā€¦

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters