Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Burnout

Almost anybody involved in ministry for any length of time has experienced burnout. College is going through a rash of it right now and, for once, I'm not one of the "burn-ees." I started teaching a series on Sunday and it's the first time in over a year that I've taught class. I'm excited about the summer pulpit curriculum and the Shepherding Group classes that will be aligned with it. No, the burnout I'm currently suffering from is everybody else's.

Okay, not everybody. That's an absolute and, as an old English-teacher buddy of mine used to say, "I never use absolutes." Still, there are a lot of people at College who are just plain tired.

During Monday's Worship Committee meeting, we talked about the possibility of having a class on Wednesday night tie into our Sunday curriculum. The problem is that there won't be anyone to teach the children on Wednesday night, so the only people that could attend would be those without kids or those who could make other arrangements for their kids. As of Sunday, there were exactly two people signed up to teach the children's classes on Sunday morning during the coming quarter. And, after making 50 phone calls to find people to help with VBS, my hard-working wife had one...yes one...helper.

This isn't a slam on College folks. They work harder than any group I know. In fact, during last year's VBS we came very close to a one-to-one ratio of workers to kids. Nearly 150 people were helping, and that's from a congregation that has dwindled into the 300's.

No, the problem isn't attitude or dedication or elbow grease. The problem is numbers. The dwindling size of the church is catching up to us. We have a far higher percentage of involved members than any church I know, but those same people can't keep doing all the work. They need others to step up. Or, ideally, we need new blood. Sadly, College isn't attracting much of that, hasn't for some time, and has struggled to hold on to the few new folks who find their way to us.

Our summer series is about prayer and I trust that our church will devote itself to the topic and the practice. We need prayer now more than ever. Prayer for growth. Prayer for creativity. Prayer for missional attitudes. Prayer for perseverance and patience. Prayer for open minds and hearts.

I have some ideas about why our numbers are so low and about how to increase them. But a blog is a very public place, isn't it? And I would hate to offend people I love dearly. But, of course, if anybody were to ask me, y'know, one-on-one, I'd be happy to share. And, as always, I covet prayer on our behalf.

8 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Without "knowing" your church I can't speak to your situation but I know from our experience over the years, "fear" can paralyze a church and it's leadership.

Example: But if we do (blank) then Sister or Brother so and so will (blank.) Or, the "brotherhood" will do (blank) if we do (blank.)

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Send me an email so we can compare notes on our present realities.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I remember my Baptist Pastor addressing this problem in a sermon by using the phrase, "Some of y'all (remember, Southern Baptist) are parking on someone else's nickel."

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Brady said...

The College church is certainly in my prayers.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

One of the reasons I'm so looking forward to ministry in a completely different arena. Just remember you work for an audience of One ... and He loves you for just being faithful to the call.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Josh Stump said...

I feel your and their pain. I find myself in a constant state of being either a burnee or a burner of someone else. I either desperately need a break or desperately need someone to stop taking theirs. Sadly, in all my desperation, I routinely forget that somehow God did this all without me up until 30 some years ago. That's not a point about you. Just about me.

Anyway, given the situation at our Church at the moment, your post really hit home. You guys will be in my prayers.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Root's Ramblings said...

Hey Steve, just read your blog and wanted to share my thoughts. I have tried to keep up with the goings on at College, eventhough I have not attended there for MANY years. I was saddened to hear of the dwindling numbers. There's a lot of changes going on - and you know how hard of a time people have adapting to change.
I see that many of the leadership that were there when I was there in the 90's are still very active today. Yes, they are dedicated... but that could be one possibility for the burnout. As you said, "...but those same people can't keep doing all the work. They need others to step up." That's the key - equipping people to take over. We have similar issues at our church, where some people just like to warm the pews, and only a small percentage are left to continue working in ministry... also suffering burn-out.
I have a few ideas how College can try to attract 'new blood'... but I won't go into it now. This has already gotten way to long.

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only speak for myself...and that we can do one-on-one. But, it feels like we are on the brink of...something. It's like we're a "transitional" congregation for a variety of reasons...always in transition, which IS a consequence of growing pains. I've also observed the ebbs and flows of College Church - a lot of highs and lows, and we've always seemed to rise up from the low times. We definately need prayer, but I guess the secret is knowing WHAT to pray for.

I share your concern, and have for quite a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters