Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Anxiety! Pressure!

Actually "AP" stands for Advanced Placement. But today it's more like "Ack! Panic!"

Tomorrow is the AP test for Calculus. We've been working towards this all year. All of my kids are doing their last minute preparation.

Yesterday I received an e-mail that my course syllabus for next year was not approved and will have to be revised.

This morning I received an e-mail that I must attend a "mandatory" 7-day training session. I have my choice of doing it over the next two weeks, thus missing class time, or during summer. The surgery put my classes way behind schedule so doing it during the school year is not an option. And giving up two weeks of a busy two-month summer doesn't exactly float my boat either.

In all of my Anxiety and Panic, my Algebra II classes have been woefully neglected. I need to type up an exam for them by tomorrow.

I can't wait to sit down, relax, and utter an "Ahhhhhh.... Phew!"

9 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

I remember AP tests, and after taking three my senior year school was effectively over for me. Finals? Whatever.

Perhaps one of my favorite Bible verses can help you: “And it came to pass…”

It came….it passed.

(I hope your students pass too!)

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

The end and the start of a school year comes with fury and leaves me exhausted. Those of you outside the teaching profession cannot realize how multi-tasked this job is not to mention having to deal with the "little critters."

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

And the sad part about it all is that in the larger picture, most of it simply doesn't really matter. My daughter went to Azusa Pacific University on an academic scholarship (yes, she is MY daughter) and kept a 4.0 for three years. This year she decided it just didn't matter whether or not she graduated with all A's or if there might be a lower grade in the mix. She relaxed and let her hair down a bit. Graduated cum laude w/ a 3.7. See what relaxing can do!!

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Greg, I stopped short at Azusa Pacific. Another AP! Aaaauughh!!!

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

7 straight days of training? Ugh. Go for the summer.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Will you be paid back in 7 days of extra golf time?

Do hang…

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Here's A Proposed algebra test:

Algebra Test

1. Develop an approved course syllabus.

2. (Extra Credit) Attend 7 day training session posing as teacher.

 
At 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully, the 7-day "inservice" isn't just another hare(hair?)-brained idea to tell you wonderful teachers how to "teach for the test".

Alas, I didn't have AP classes, but I think my classes were the first in the valley to be "accelerated", of sorts. (But I did have to take a math test every day in nursing school. Agh-h-h-h-h...) But no cal-CU'-lus...

Teachers (professors) in nursing school were mostly unmarried Irish Catholic ladies...imagine what THAT was like! Especially the formidable director...she was a commander, or some sort of high-ranked officer in the Navy during a war, as well. It was scarey...she was almost 6 feet tall! One of my Bible verses during that time..."and they were sorely afraid!" Those years gave new meaning to the words, "shock and awe".

Wendy had an awesome Senior English teacher...he was amazing!!

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Thought I'd let you know that Son 2 just got his SAT results back. He got 800 on the math. I don't know if that happens a lot, but he said that part of the test was pretty easy. 740 on the English. All in all, quite good, I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters