Friday, April 20, 2007

Incongruities

Last night, somebody asked if they could borrow my copy of "Citizen Kane." I said it would be fine and strolled over to my DVD shelf to retrieve it. There it stood, right next to "Bubba Ho-Tep."

That got me thinking about all of the incongruities in my life.

I am a huge admirer of "Citizen Kane." Yes, I do think it's the best-made movie of all time. I even enjoyed the audio track of Roger Ebert giving a film lesson while the movie played. "Yes, you're right, Roger, Welles was a pioneer in the use of lighting. Oh, but in this movie, Bruce Campbell plays an old Elvis Presley fighting mummies alongside JFK? This sounds good toooo!"


Let's see. What else?

The bookcase in the computer room has one side for commentaries and one side for graphic novels.

My iPod once followed an Eminem song with "C'est Moi" from Camelot.


I can quote Shakespeare and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

To wit:

"The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen, man's hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart to report what my dream was." (Bottom from "A Midsummer Night's Dream")

"Get back to Cairo. Get us some transport to England...boat, plane, anything. Meet me at Omar's. Be ready for me. I'm going after that truck." "How, Indy?" "I don't know, I'm making this up as I go." (cue fanfare, see the pretty white horse)

How about this one? I can find the definite integral of an inverse trigonometric function, but I can't split the check after dinner. And what is it with always asking the math guy to split the check? Do the rest of you get that too? "Hey, Randy, that was a great movie, how about a little sermon to top it off?" "Say, Carolyn, after church would you look at this white spot on my back?" "Greg, I was thinking, maybe when we get together you could lay me to rest!"

Okay, probably Carolyn gets that all the time. But still.

Wait, here's another one. True, and remarkably sad. I can install my own RAM but I can't copy a file to a CD. I'm pretty sure I could learn that one, but I've just never needed to. Can't fax either.

I like sushi, but my hamburgers have to be plain.

I love classical music. Opera makes my head hurt.

I am a great big collection of walkin', talkin' incongruities.

But so are you.

12 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Brady said...

The thoughts in my head often don't belong next to each other. Some of my sermons have had two of those kinds of thoughts together too.

Dad is home with a terrible sinus headache. He mentioned an operation, and you… We'll see.

I'm impressed with the Shakespeare. I can't quote NOR spell him.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I try to avoid spliting the cost at dinner. I’ll add an “incongruity” at the expense of my good friend the Puckster. Puck can teach and preach from a Greek Bible and I believe he reads Hebrew as well. However, one year we gave Puck the task of putting together our Camp Song Book. Our theme that year was “Putting on the Full Armor of God.”

When the Puckster arrived at camp he brought several boxes of nicely bound song books with a custom cover which he made himself. The cover read:
“The “Amour” of God.” My brother can read Greek and Hebrew but can’t spell the word, “armor.” I say this with much “amour” towards my Camp Brother.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Josh Stump said...

Yeah. You're right. I am too. A few comments:

1. Citizen Kane is the not the greatest movie ever made. It is great and pioneering to be sure, but you're telling me in the decade's since we've made no improvements? c'mon. For the record, the best movie ever made is the Godfather Parts 1 and 2 which is really the same movie in two parts.

2. I do "get that all the time." "So, Josh, while we're out here fishing, think you can draw me up a quick will?" never mind, that I don't write wills. Or, "I think there's toxic asbestos containing mold covered in lead paint in my house, can I sue someone for that?"

3. That you are a math guy and still can appreciate Eminem, comic books, Raiders and, of course, The Green Lantern, continues to blow my mind. The math people in my life have historically been...well...less well rounded lets say.

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave it to "math-man" to use the self-descriptive word "incongruity"...I kind of prefer the terms, "eclectic" or "unique". (I have a hard time SAYING the word "incongruity") I think a person can probably learn more about someone in just a few seconds by scoping out their personal library...or their CD collection!

Brain-polarity is so much fun! (Just what IS your IQ, Steve??? It must be off the charts)

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

You opened a can of worms w/ that greatest movie comment and must say the Stumpmeister is wrong, too. THE greatest movie ever made easily would be Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

With that debate laid to rest (who else to do that but a funeral director?), I remember one time trying to decide how much cement it would take to pour a 4" slab on the basketball court at the Camp mentioned by Cecil. He, too, is a math teacher and he had no idea how to figure that out!!! I actually had to tell him how it's done.

As for my life - I can purchase a guitar when, all the time, the one I REALLY want is always the next one! Go figure!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Tonya Power said...

No, No, No... The greatest movie was The Quiet Man. It has a great fight scene too. That's another incongruity in my life. A quiet librarian who appreciates violence in movies. Go figure.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger twinmommy said...

Y'all obviously have not watched Talledega Nights, because Ricky Bobby says that Highlander won the Oscar for "Best Movie Ever Made."

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

How about a half-deaf woman married to a half-blind man? :)

"Honey, where's the butter?"
"What?!?"

And you are all so wrong. The best movie ever is "Singin' In The Rain," and you know it.

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best movie made...a tie between my favorite three..."To Kill A Mockingbird", or "The Color Purple" or "Sleepless In Seattle. Or "Top Gun"

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

"Wait. Let me start over. Among the best movies are..."

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

Best movie ever made was none of the above. Has to be a tie between Field of Dreams and Sweet Home Alabama!

My incongruities:

Hate hard-boiled eggs. Can't bite into one of those things to save my life. The consistency of the white part makes me gag. But mix 'em up in potato salad, tuna salad, or any number of other things, and I can go to town on it.

Most R-rated movies make (especially the bedroom scenes) make me cringe and grit my teeth. But I can read a cheap, tawdry romance novel and enjoy it. (Maybe ya'll could pray for me!)

I attend a congregation that is "old-school" but gain 95% of my inspiration and support and much friendship and love from my friends in blog-land (not old-school). Thanks for putting up with me.

These are just a few off the top of my head.

Oh, I couldn't leave this one out. Most of the people I love the very most are very, very, very private people. I, however, am an open book to be read by all who just casually walk by. As someone said, "go figure."

Steve, sushi AND plain hamburgers? :)

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Don't much care for tomatoes but love salsa?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters