Thursday, March 22, 2007

Good Scents

Apparently, laundry detergent smells.

With the headaches almost a thing of the past and the strange rash finally fading, I am beginning to feel human for the first time in many weeks. I'm nearly over last week's illness and I can feel some energy coming back. In other words, it's time to start reaping the benefits of the surgery.

Benefit #1: My smeller is working again. Last night I did some laundry and when I opened the box of detergent I was almost knocked over by the smell. Man! Is it like that all the time or did we just get a super-smelly box?

The upside here is that it's springtime and there are a lot of things I'm anxious to smell, not least of which is a nice baseball field. The downside is that I spend many days with teenagers. Hey, every silver lining's gotta have a cloud around it somewhere.

(Speaking of pessimism, somebody sent me a bunch of Steven Wright quotes yesterday and this one stuck out: "Always borrow money from pessimists. They don't expect you to pay them back anyway.")

Benefit #2: I'm very hopeful that the daily headaches that I just got used to for so many years may actually become a thing of the past. I can't tell you how excited I am about the thought of going days at a time without my head hurting. I may actually get something done! A bright prospect to say the least.

Benefit #3: It is an awesome thing to be the recipient of much prayer. I know that many, many people have been praying for me. It's a great boon to my faith to be able to feel God's answer in such a physical way. Words can't express my gratitude to everyone who has been lifting me up in this way.

So I may look like a fool for a while, but I'm going to walk around smelling things. And I hope I never take all of those wonderful scents for granted.

3 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

Walk around and smell all you want, but be careful in laundry rooms!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

Yeah, laundry detergent is always that strong. It makes the clothes smell nice. Wait until you smell rain on pavement. The air when it's still under 70 degrees out on an early summer morning. The shampoo smell of James' head right after a bath.

Does food taste different?

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Brady said...

The proverbial stop and smell the roses becomes reality. So good to have it back, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters