Monday, March 05, 2007

The Walk to Emmaus

There is a group of people that I met 3 years ago that I know as the Emmaus Community. That group has grown and my love for them has grown as well. If you've been on a "Walk to Emmaus", you understand just how special it is. If you haven't, I hope you take the opportunity someday.

I had the chance to spend this weekend with some guys from this group and to meet some new friends as well. I wasn't feeling great and I was pretty weak. But God gave me the strength to enjoy fellowship with an amazing group. I'm about as tired as I can be today, but so grateful for the things I saw and experienced over the past few days. I can't even express how much I love some of these folks. They have literally changed my life, maturing me and causing me to see Jesus in new ways and, in some ways, for the very first time. My relationship with Christ is what it is largely due to the willingness of these people to allow God to use them to minister to me.

Meanwhile, my church has been taking care of me...lifting me up in prayer...sending me cards and gifts while I recuperate. You truly do get better faster when people are praying and when you know how much they care. This weekend, I was prayed for--by name--at least 8 times and many more times when I wasn't around. So even though I'm tired, my headaches are diminishing, I haven't had a bout of double vision in almost a week, my doctor says things look good, and last night I slept on my stomach for the first time in over 2 weeks. If you don't think that was pure bliss....

As far as the overbooked appointment on Saturday, I pulled up to the office about half an hour before they opened, the surgeon pulled in next to me about 30 seconds after I arrived and waved me in behind him. They started the procedure at about 8:10 and sent me on my way about 8:35. It hurt. A lot. But I felt so much better after it was over.

This is what we have that other people don't understand...that they need even though they don't know they need it. We have communication with the Creator. We have a Daddy who cares about us and who listens to us. We have salvation and so much more. I shudder to think of life without Christ. I am so blessed to be surrounded by his presence in so many people.

2 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO glad things are getting better...God opens windows when doors seem to close...the "door" being an uncomplicated, smooth recovery, and the "window" being a surgeon-in-waiting for you to make you better! But, you're in the "home stretch" now, and in time, your energy level will improve. After all the stuff you'd had to go through, your body is just telling you to be patient until it catches up.

Would love to hear more about this group...How blessed you are because of them, and, vicariously, we are ALL touched as well.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

Glad you are on the upswing! Church family, truly empowered by the Spirit, is simply the best!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters