Thursday, February 08, 2007

Busy and Blogless

Saturday morning I will be giving a talk at a nearby retreat on "The Body of Christ." Sunday morning I will be preaching about "Serving Abundantly." I've never prepared for two talks virtually simultaneously before. I have enough trouble focusing under normal circumstances, but this has been brutal. I find myself thinking about one talk and leapfrogging back and forth with verses, stories, and ideas.

In preparation I have been reading "Searching For God Knows What" by Donald Miller, "Fearfully and Wonderfully Made" by Brand and Yancey, "Soul Survivor" by Yancey, assorted books and websites about and by Henri Nouwen, four different Barclay commentaries (so far), an excellent essay by Rubel Shelly that Sandra sent me, some writings by Greg Taylor and Wade Hodges on the Missional Church, a couple of concordances, and about 4 different Bible translations. I think I may have slipped a few Fantastic Four comics in there somewhere because last night I dreamed that Jesus lived in the Baxter Building.

I am also getting ready to miss a week of work. This involves deciding exactly what the kids can do with a sub for three 140-minute periods. I'm putting together three different work packets and hoping this sub does more than the last sub which won't be hard because the last sub spent most of the time telling jokes and passing out candy. Oddly enough, the kids asked if they could have him again while I was gone. Yeah. Right.

Cecil will back me up when I say it's easier to just teach, even if you're sick, than to set up for a sub. I've been told that I just flat won't be able to teach for a few days after the surgery so I'm stuck with the set-up process.

Throw in all the normal day-to-day life stuff and it becomes apparent quickly why I haven't written much this week.

Both weekend talks involve some fairly personal bits, so it'll be a gut-check. On the other hand, God has been so good to me this week. With the exception of one day, I have woken up with Him on my mind, and not just because of the messianic super-hero stuff. He has put a song in my heart and His word on my lips. I'm going through some lousy headaches every day, yet I have never felt a stronger faith or greater peace. I can feel the prayers at work and I humbly ask that they continue. Y'all must be some pretty righteous folks, 'cause your prayers are availething much. Thank you thank you thank you.

4 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I'm so proud of who you are.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Hope it goes well, prep and presentation. Lots of reading going on! Time to "distill"…

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I can certainly concur on the better to teach sick than make plans for a sub aspect. But, you need to take care of yourself and listen to what the doctors tell you my Math Brother so, make the plans and “enjoy” the time off. That is, after the Saturday and Sunday speaking gigs. We’ll continue the prayers from the east coast.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Carolanne said...

Hope it goes well and glad that God has been good to you.
I agree it's much easier to teach sick than to prepare for a sub, assuming you get the choice, but on the other hand, getting better would take longer than preparing those lessons, wouldn't they? Maybe?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters