Friday, January 19, 2007

Afterlife Plans

My dad used to say that when he got to heaven, he planned to sit in a rocking chair on the front porch of his mansion. And then, after 10,000 years, he would slowly start to rock.

That's as good a way of thinking of an infinity of rest that I can imagine. And I never doubted that he was serious. I figure he's been in that rocker for almost 20 years now. But he still has some 9,980 years before he does any rocking.

It's not a bad plan, but it's not mine. I have a few other ideas. One of which is to pull up a rocker next to him and do a little catching up. I'm sure he'd like to meet Lisa and James and they'd like to meet him. Here are some other plans:

Meet the people who I only know from their names in the Bible. Sit with them and talk about their stories. Ask questions as I go. In particular, I'd like some face time with Paul.

Sing with the heavenly choir. I can't wait to have perfect pitch.

Play some golf. I figure the courses might be real nice.

Read, read, read. I really believe that my stack of unread books will be there waiting for me when I get there.

But before I do any of that, I want to see Jesus. I want to hug him hard. I want to tell him thank you.

And have you considered this? Have you ever thought that, as much as you want to see Jesus, as much as you want to sit at his feet and learn and talk and laugh...he wants to see you just as much. He gets a smile on his face when he thinks of that time you will spend together, and it's just as wide as yours.

3 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From your typing fingers to God's eyes!! SO many things I want to know when I "get there". It's hard to comprehend it all...to imagine "being there", which all boils down to our Saviour's sacrifice and God's grace and mercy, and how undeserving I am. Thank you, Lord, for the promise of rocking chairs and eternity!

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Steve, thanks for the reminder and the perspective. Much appreciated.

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger JD said...

Thanks for the encouraging word. It reminds me of the song 'When I Get Where I'm Going'. Have you heard that one? Anyway...this was a great post to read to start my day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters