Monday, January 22, 2007

Football Blues

Being one of those one-sport guys has its drawbacks. Because of my passion for baseball and my, y'know, encyclopedic knowledge about it, everyone assumes I'm your ordinary sports fan. But I'm not. I take six months out of every year off from watching any kind of sports at all. I do watch the Super Bowl every year, but mostly for the commercials.

So this time of year I feel like the uncool kid who hears about all the weekend parties on Monday during 1st Period. I even forget there is anything going on. One of our elders (who shall remain nameless but is a diehard Cardinals fan) told me yesterday he couldn't wait to get home after church. When I asked him why he gave me a real funny look. "Oh yeah," I thought to myself. "It's football season."

Still, having said that, I like this Peyton Manning fellow. See, I stopped watching football because I couldn't stand the antics anymore. I wanted the fellas to score their touchdowns and then toss the ball to the nearest ref, not run out to the 50-yard line and moon the crowd. The T.O.'s of the game ruined it for me. (Same with basketball...I don't like thugs.) No thank you. I'll take Marcus Allen any day, but they tell me he's not playing anymore. But Manning seems to go about his business with some degree of professionalism. He's also very good at what he does. I like his commercials too.

So I've battened down the hatches for the next two weeks of endless hype. Wake me up on Super Bowl Sunday. And "Go Colts!"

I guess.

2 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I'm rooting for the Colts. They seem to be a class act. Besides, I love that Archie / Peyton / Eli ESPN Studio Tour commercial. Reminds me of our NBC Studio tour.

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm torn. Love Peyton Manning, but also admire the "heart" of Chicago team. They got my attention when they beat Arizona last October - I was in that windy city at the time and saw it on TV But I can't seem to get into football since the Montana/Rice/Clark era. (My sister has his jersey with autograph. I'd try to "misappropriate" it, but it's in a 4-5' frame...too big to put in my suitcase)
I, too, like the commercials as long as they are appropriate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters