Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Schmalentine's

I just made my morning circuit of blogs and have discovered a couple of things.

A) Your wives have you programmed.
B) The only blog NOT mentioning Valentine's Day was Cecil's, which just proves that teachers HATE Valentine's Day.
C) I'm kidding about the "programmed" thing. Truth is, you're all incurable romantics.

One of the things I love about my wife is that she's not. Nary a romantic bone in her body and I love her for it. Sure, she's sensitive...cries at the drop of an Oprah...but when it comes to hearts and flowers she's as ughy about the whole thing as I am. We exchange cards on Valentine's Day, go out to dinner when possible, but we both heaved a huge sigh of contentment when we finally realized that the traditional stuff just wasn't important to either one of us.

Take today, for instance. I'm working late, getting ready for a week's worth of sub. There are tests to write, tests to copy, tests to correct, and a hundred things to prepare before I'm outta here for the next week or so. Lisa, meanwhile, will be taking James out tonight (along with our Godson and Goddaughter) and then working late to make up for the days she's going to miss taking care of me. And before you all tap me on the cyber-shoulder, clear your voices with an authoritative "aherm," and insist that my wife really does want all that googly-bear stuff (sorry, just watched "Monster's Inc.") she'd be the first to assure you that it's true.

And isn't love like that? We all give it and receive it differently. I've known women who would melt at a box of chocolates, a bouquet of roses, or a (God forbid) mix tape. Mix CD? Mix digital iPod Nano? You know what I mean. And Lisa does melt when I buy her flowers. But only when they come from out of nowhere. She's much more a "Quality Time" or an "Acts of Service" type gal. See? I know my love languages.

Look, she's taking care of me for the next few days. Do you have any idea what it means to me that I don't have to worry about a thing during my surgery? She knows the route to Stanford. She has booked the hotel. She remembers everything we need to ask the surgeon. She is organizationally gifted. And she shows her love by using that gift for me. That's better than a thousand gifts and a million cards.

God knew what He was doing when He put together two unromantic fools. I don't deserve her and, in a completely inverse way, she doesn't deserve me either. But like Butch and Sundance, like Harry and Sally, like Mulder and Scully, like...like...oh, I'll just say it...like Sully and Mike (Monster's Inc. is hard to shake), we were made for each other.

Between travelling and surgery and recovery, I have no idea how much blogging there will be in the days ahead. Please keep us in your prayers. And, oh heck, Happy Valentine's Day.

There. You happy?

3 Comments:

At 12:15 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you too. Sounds to me like you two really deserve each other.

You are in my prayers for the operation.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Valentine's Day in a middle school - ugh.
I spent my Valentine's Day announcing our first home baseball game while my lovely wife cooked for our church. We're such silly romantics and BTW, I loved your "at the drop of an Oprah" comment.

You're in our prayers Math Bro.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Carolanne said...

I didn't mention Valentines Day in my blogsite and usually we don't make a fuss of it either. However, in the middle of teaching about Valentines Day to a class of 11-13 year olds, a huge bouquet of flowers was delivered to my classroom, from my husband, who is not usually of romantic calibre.
It was extremely timely as the students had just been comparing real love and marriage to the TV shows they watch so they got to see "real love" in action. Had he not sent the flowers, I would not have been disappointed but because he did, it was like a living lesson.

Praying for you re the operation and recuperation!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters