Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Turning the Corner

The drive to Stanford yesterday was as long and boring as ever. But three things saved the day.

My buddy, Kevin, took the day off work and tagged along. My wonderful wife, bless her heart, was ready and willing, but I wasn't sure how able she was. She got very little sleep over the weekend and she already falls asleep at the first hint of freeway. And when she falls asleep, I get sleepy too. So I pressed Kevin into service. The drive went fast as we had lots to talk about, mostly fantasy baseball. In fact, as we were approaching Fresno on the way back, Kevin was heard to say, "Oh man, we're almost home...we'd better hurry if we're going to get through the rest of this." It's true: good friends always have more talk than time.

The day's second saving grace came when my doctor peered up my nose, a situation I am unfortunately getting used to, and said things looked great. That sounds weird but it was music to my ears. He said it looked like I'd turned the corner as far as my healing went and the procedure was much, much easier this time. And shorter. We drove 3 hours both ways for a 5-minute appointment. But it was well worth it. The headaches are getting better and I'm almost to the point where I'm glad I had it done.

But the real high point of the day was meeting up with three of my former students at Stanford University. One is a junior now and the other two were in my class just last year. They met me on the steps of the bookstore and took me to the student dining hall (which the junior manages) for lunch. We caught up and told stories and generally had a great time. It was just a pleasure to see all of them. Sadly, two of them had Chem class at 1:15 and had to scuttle off, but it was a wonderful lunch.

All that and I still got back to town in time for the worship meeting. Hoorah.

3 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Glad to hear you're somewhat turning the corner on your health and I know you enjoyed your meeting with the former students.

Speaking of baseball, my son hit his first career high school homerun last night! Got his pic in the paper as well. It was a fun baseball night.

I meant to comment yesterday and ran out of time. I loved your post and it brought back memories. We we purchased a king-sized bed my son who was 4 or 5 at the time told everyone that larger bed was so he could sleep with Mommy and Daddy. I miss those nights.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger twinmommy said...

Because it is Lent, I cannot in good conscious say, "Hallelujah!" But I will say that God is indeed good and to be praised for your relationships with your family, friends, students and healing.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

Will your local doctor be able to do the nose-peering in the future? I can imagine that the three hour drives are getting old, even with the best of company.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters