Monday, April 16, 2007

April Madness

When teachers say that this is the busiest time of the year, they ain't kidding. They also ain't English teachers if they say "ain't."

Next week we will start our state testing, which means we've been reviewing hot and heavy for at least the past two weeks. That's in addition to continuing to teach new curriculum in order to cover as much as possible before testing begins. State testing assumes we have taught the entire class, even though testing always comes with some two months left in the school year.

The AP Calculus Test will be given on May 9. I am teaching the final lesson today, giving a chapter test on Friday, and administering a practice test on Saturday, followed by a review session. We will be moving at a break-neck pace until the 9th.

Open House is tonight. Whoopee. This year, in somebody's infinite wisdom, we will all be outside, gathered around tables by department, apparently carrying on conversations with parents. We will have no access to our gradebooks or demo lessons. Shrug.

This is also the time of year that many students begin to take an interest in their grades. I have a steady stream of requests for extra credit. I have two parent conferences scheduled for Wednesday alone. I have a LOT of bad news to hand out.

The extra-curricular activities should ease up for a while as I preached my last sermon until the end of May yesterday. And baseball provides a great way to unwind from it all, even though watching your team lose 5 out of 6 is in no way relaxing. But if the posts come fewer and farther betweener in the next few weeks, you'll know why.

THIS JUST IN:

Lisa just informed me that The African Children's Choir would be performing on American Idol next Wednesday and they needed a place to stay in Fresno next Thursday. So it sounds like we get to see the girls again!

Now, that's the kind of madness I can get behind.

6 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

Why don't you send me a copy of that AP Calculus exam and I'll give it a whirl!!

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger twinmommy said...

Hang in there, Steve! Sounds like God's looking out for you in bringing back those precious kids for another visit. I used to tell my students that I didn't give opportunities for extra credit, especially when there was a slew of missing assignments. If they wanted extra work, they could finish the assignments they were supposed to do in the first place. I kind of got a perverse pleasure out of being known as the meanest math teacher in the building.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I feel your pain Math Bro. With our year ending in mid-May this time of year gets crazy.

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger Brady said...

April is busy? May and June are my busy months, with JULY a killer because of two-week kids' camp.

Enjoy your girls…

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

I am SO glad I am neither a math teacher nor a math student! :)

So glad you're going to get to see those kiddos again!

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can watch AI now that Sanjaya is gone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters