Thursday, May 31, 2007

Calcfest 2007!

Cecil wrote recently about his observations of 17-year-old young men at his son's birthday party. Last night, I had a similar opportunity as 25 17-and 18-year-old Calculus students descended upon my house for CALCFEST 2007!

This is the third time we've hosted the Calc kids at the end of the school year. We've found that if you put out enough pizza, soda, cookies, and games, that everything else pretty much takes care of itself. All you have to do is join in the fun. And watch 'em go.

As Cecil noted, cell phones and iPods are the order of the day. But think about it. When you were that age, if you could have brought all of your music and all of your friends with you wherever you go, you would have too. Right? So ring tones are constant and there are a dozen different songs playing at once.

And if you have any video games, they will find them.

James was in heaven. 25 new playmates all at once. He showed off his room, his trophies, his...stuff. And, as always, they were great about letting him join in all the fun. James gravitated towards the girls. One in particular had him gabbing uncontrollably. I'm sure it was just the tiniest taste of what's to come. Fathers of boys, I will be needing your advice in the years ahead and, from the looks of things, sooner rather than later.

Outside of the classroom, kids are more themselves. They are more willing to talk freely and it's quite obvious who is with whom. It's a little sad that, just as they are about to graduate and learn their way towards changing the world, I first get a glimpse of who they really are.

After 7 pizzas, two bags of chips, 7 bottles of soda, cookies galore, one group game, two rounds of Scattergories, untold sessions of Madden Football, and assorted groupings of cards and Pictionary, I finally chased the last group out. I love the end of the school year and I look forward to summer as much as anybody, more than most. But I will always have those kids whom I hate to see leave. It's great to be able to have a sendoff for them. Even if I did lose at Scattergories. Twice.

4 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

I would have enjoyed teachers like you and Cecil. However, with my math challenged brain, I would never have had you as a teacher.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I like the math you did when the evening was over… 7 pizzas, 2 bags of chips…

How many stains on the couch?

You're a good man.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Dead on about how much nicer and relaxed kids are away from the pressure of school.

Greg, I'll speak for Steve by saying we make you an honorary member of our classes with all the rights and privilieges therein.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

I would have loved you, too, but I would NOT have been in your calculus class.............not by choice, anyway! Ditto you're a good man. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters