Thursday, September 06, 2007

Angels in the Postseason


I've been an Angels fan since the early 80's. I came on board with Lynn, DeCinces, and Grich. I was there for WallyWorld. I suffered through the days when rookies like Dante Bichette were regularly traded for washed-up veterans like Dave Parker. I rooted every year, but seldom had much hope that my boys of summer would be my boys of autumn.

But, to quote a different Don Henley song, everything is different now.

These days I expect the Angels to play into October. The farm system is consistently good. The commitment to signing quality free agents is constant. There is a drive to win that never goes away, from Scioscia and his team, through the pitching staff and starting lineup, all the way to the #25 utility guy. There is an Angels style of baseball and its fun to watch.

I spoke up earlier this season and almost single-handedly pushed the team out of first place. So I'm more cautious now. But with a 7 1/2 game lead and only a few weeks to play, I daresay I think they're going to make it. And it looks like they will play the first postseason series against the Cleveland Indians. So the 4-game series we start tonight against the Tribe will be telling. A series win would give us (I always say "us" when referring to the Angels, as though I'm going to be suiting up anytime soon) a lot of confidence.

Let's go, Angels! (Clap clap clap-clap-clap!)

6 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

No, no, no. You got the chant all wrong. This is how it goes.

Let's Go OAKLAND! (Clap Clap Clap-Clap-Clap!)

Now you try it. :)

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

You're both wrong ... you do a chopping motion with your arm and sort of chant like an Indian BRAVE. Not as in Florida State, but as in Atlanta Braves. Go ahead ... give it a try!

Actually I do enjoy seeing the home team do well. And I don't mean those guys up in LA, either.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Glad your team is winning. My prediction? The Angels in four.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger twinmommy said...

I guess, since the Mariners have pretty much messed up their chances for post-season play with an 8-game losing streak, that I've got to root for somebody else. At least the Angels are on the same coast and I've lived in a city close to Anaheim. Go Angels!

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

No..........you clap with chirps like a CARDINAL!! My fellows didn't start out so good but they've somewhat redeemed themselves. Remains to be seen if they pull out! Glad you're in happyland with your As!! :)

 
At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angels in four? They've got to go to Boston first, no? Let's not get TOO far ahead of ourselves...

Tea, anyone?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters