Monday, September 17, 2007

Countdown to Sunday

Today is Day #27 in my 40 days of prayer. God has blessed me so much during this time and shown me so many possible paths. I'm excited and not a little apprehensive about what He has in mind. If nothing else, I already know that He has more possibilities in mind than my little brain could ever imagine.

On Day #6, my neighbor, Chris, came over with gifts for Lisa and I. He gave Lisa a beautiful pillowcase that they had purchased in Spain on a recent visit. To me, he presented a book. This worried me as my stack was already so large, I didn't know when I would fit a new read in. And then he pointed out that his name was on the cover. This worried me even more. I'm notoriously awful at faking that I like something. If I hated his book, I was pretty sure I could never talk to Chris again. I don't think I could get away with, "Yeah, boy, that quote you used in Chapter 5 was really good."

Nevertheless, the book vaulted to the top of my stack and I began reading it immediately.

It is just over 200 pages long, but it took me a couple of weeks to read. That's because it was so good, so useful, so brimming with good ideas and information that I really took my time with it. In fact, Chris's book is one of the most useful I have ever read.

Those who know me know that I struggle with preaching. I love teaching and I think I'm pretty good at it. But teaching and preaching are different things. Chris's book very much made me want to be a preacher, not necessarily a full-time one (not necessarily), but a preacher nonetheless.

The book is called "Countdown to Sunday" and it is a collection of writings on preaching that Chris has done over the past couple of years. He gives his daily approach to assembling a sermon, his thoughts on things that 21st century preachers face, and most importantly, his view on what preaching truly is. Chris's goal is to make his congregation a group of preachers, to teach them how to handle the text, how to make it their own, how to present it, how to embody it...how to live it. His goal is to send his church into the world as preachers of the Word.

Good goal, eh?

I can't wait to try the method outlined in the book for "hosting the text," as Chris puts it. Or more brutally, to be the kind of preacher that is willing to "open a vein and bleed" it. Chris is a wonderful writer but, more importantly, he's a great thinker. He has in intense love for the Word and an overwhelming desire to see it transform lives. I want to get his book into the hands of as many preachers as I possibly can.

It was a unique experience having the author's voice in my ear as I read his book. Chris and I have talked a bit about preaching, but it was the other stuff I personally enjoyed the most. When he wrote about his family, his love of U2, his personal foibles and trials...it gave me special pleasure to hear his voice in my head.

And, no, I don't think it's a coincidence that he gave me a copy less than a week into a period of my life when I am intensely asking for God's guidance. I haven't had a chance to share any of this with Chris yet, but I can't wait to sit with him and talk about his passion for preaching and how timely his gift was.

4 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

You are right it is not a coincidence, it was God. God answers our prayers in ways we may not always expect, sometimes. I believe we just saw a connection with God's plan for you and Chris.

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

So glad God moved you, Chris, and the book together. You know you have my prayers.

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Times of "transition" - also called "yeasty times" by John Nesbitt - can be so exciting. It's good wisdom to put God at the core of this process, as you are doing. I think God reveals his Will for us regarding our lives' direction, but then it becomes OUR job to make sure we are thoroughly prepared to do His Will. That is an awesome task. Keep your heart and mind open...God has great plans for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters