Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Keli

I got a new perspective this week on the talking heads they always interview after a baseball championship. My neighbor, Chris, has been coming over to watch the Rockies games because Major League Baseball, in its infinite wisdom, allowed the NLCS to be broadcast on TBS and Chris doesn't have cable. I've enjoyed having him over for the games, although we talk too much and find that we are missing important plays.

Monday night, Chris and his wife came over to watch Game 4. Chris has known the Rockies President, Keli McGregor, since second grade. They roomed together in college. They were in each other's weddings. They're buds. So obviously, Chris roots pretty hard for the Rockies. His enthusiasm combined with the fact that the Rockies are the hottest team I've ever seen (21 and 1???) make it pretty easy for me to root for them too.

When the Diamondbacks cut the lead from 6-0 to 6-4, Chris ran home to e-mail Keli, knowing he would have his blackberry with him. During the game, we heard some great stories about pranks they played together. It's great hearing about impish deeds done by a group of guys, all of whom grew up to be either ministers, missionaries, or presidents of Major League Baseball teams.

After the game, as usual, the team heads were all interviewed. This is usually when I change channels or go to bed. But now, this is what we had been waiting for! When the microphone moved in front of Keli's face, Chris and his wife leaned forward, smiles wide on their faces. Keli praised the Diamondbacks and then shouted "Whoa whoa whoa!" when the crowd started booing. He seemed, in every way, a class act. His sheer joy in a victorious team that has been severe underdogs every year since their inception radiated through the TV, through his friends, and into us.

It's so easy to forget that everybody's somebody. The homeless guy I passed yesterday...that kid who gives me grief...even the talking heads. They all have lives. They all matter. No matter how "important" or how unimportant they seem, they all matter. I pray that God helps me to see past the surface of the people around me and gives me just a glimpse of how HE sees them.

9 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

I have to pray for that, because I've never been able to pull it off short of God's help. Good post! Go Rockies! Their manager is a class act.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Josh Stump said...

Good post. Very true. I haven't been able to get into the baseball playoffs at all. I haven't watched a single inning so far which may be a first. The Rockies are a great story though with their MVP candidate and phenom SS and unbelievable hot streak. I will say that I like the idea of a CO v. CLE world series. No New York Yankees, no New England Yankees, and an NL west time in the hunt. That's pretty good stuff. sadly though, Bonds and the Giants just killed baseball for me this year. Am I crazy to think the Giants have a shot at A-Rod?

See you in January.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Meowmix said...

I'd second Greg and say, yes, the guy's a definite class act. He sounds like what sportsmanship OUGHT to be about instead of what it's usually about.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

So true Math Bro. The classy manager of the Rockies, Clint Hurdle, went to my rival H.S., Merritt Island High School which is just across the Indian River from my diggs, Cocoa High. He was one year ahead of me and played both football and baseball.

He attended the elementary school my wife teaches at now. Go Rockies and go local Brevard County boy!

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

You talked about baseball and you did not mention the "A-word", very good. I see much growth in you. Seriously, thanks for sharing that story and giving us some insight that ESPN and TBS would never told us about...probably because they don't know about it. I hope that God also allows me to get a glimpse of how He sees these people.

 
At 2:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't take long for me to see some extraordinary baseball via the Rockies. They're not only a class act, but also the fans are just over the moon. Things are fun to watch when there's an element of unpredictability. IF the Sox win another one, this whole affair will go into NOVEMBER, thanks to TV scheduling...World Series and all! It's no wonder why post-season baseball has been losing its ratings...takes 'em too long to do anything! Games are twice as long as they used to be!

I'm a die-hard hockey fan...there's NO delaying of anything in those games!

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can we all "just get along" and agree that after today's game, the handwriting is on the wall? It's going to be Red Sox and the Rockies. Maybe I'm ahead of myself...and maybe I will have to eat my words (thank you, "Thursday Next"), but...well, we'll see. The way Boston is playing, they deserve to be in the "big one", and those are games I shall NOT miss.

I also forgot to say that the last sentence in your blog...about every person having worth...a story to tell...and being "viewed" by God Almighty was profoud. Psa. 139 says it all. If we only could see our fellow man/woman through God's eyes.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Very good reminder. I had a woman on the phone because my credit card had been blocked at a very important and inconvenient time, making me use another card that I didn't want to use. The lady told me I was changing her words… I told her: Hey, I'm just calling to complain, that's all! I should have been nicer, and will be, next time.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

I did not see you at church today, but it looks like if you want to be an elder you will have to change your name because on the ballot you are now known as Steve ThRUman. If that bothers you then just think about all the other great men that had their name changed by the Lord.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters