Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Cat's Outta the Bag

I've written recently about how little traveling we did in 2007. A couple of beach trips and that was about it. I knew that 2008 would be different, far more tropical, but I didn't let on just how different until Sunday night.

Lisa has earned a trip to Maui and the two of us will be spending a week there in May. James has been wanting to see Lego Land, so we will visit San Diego this summer. And for our 10th anniversary, Lisa and I are going to take a cruise to the Mexican Riviera!

I sprung this on her Sunday (because Lisa needs time to plan her business around vacations) and she immediately jumped into high gear. She has a travel agent connection who can get us a lower rate and we talked about who might go with us. I was glad she was so excited because I was already!

It's weird that I have a little guilt about this. I'm planning to start seminary soon and having to get some help with tuition. So all of this traveling seems exorbitant. I find myself defending it all: The Maui trip is free...San Diego is using the vacation budget...I've been saving for the cruise for quite a while. I guess it's odd that I would expect anybody to view our fun-filled year with a raised eyebrow. Still, God hasn't stripped me of all my cynicism yet. He's teaching me to love, even to deeply love, but I still have trouble simply expecting the best of people. I confess that I'm working on that.

On a tangentially-related note, Lisa and I were sad to miss our concert last night (Matthew West, Toby Mac, and Jeremy Camp) due to babysitting woes. But we were SO glad that some well-deserving friends got to go instead. In fact, we had a nice evening together and were really happy to know that others were enjoying the show. To make up for it, I'm going to a U2 concert tonight. I'll file a report tomorrow.

4 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

Lifetime Learning credit - tax deductible! As is interest on student loans, once you start paying them. I'm excited for you. Also a hater re: vacations. Send me a post card, wouldja?

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I find that if you replace the word Vacation with Mission it seems to legitimize the investment.

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

You mentioned you’re going to “Seminary.” Which “School of Preaching” would that be? A little “coC humor” there. Congratulations on the trip(s) and congrats on starting Seminary! Who knows, maybe you’ll end up preaching in Florida! All you need is a good sermon on “mixed bathing.”

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to stop reading at "Maui"...I sorta turned green with you-know-what. Gotta repent of that. So I continued to read. That was my pentance. Then SD...I learned to waterski there on Mission Bay 50 yrs ago! Then Mexican Riviera...pardon my ig-nince...would that be the Cancun area?
Then I howled at cwinc's idea of the "seminary"...hey, I didn't learn how to swim until I was 13 because of the "mixed bathing" thing! I still have a healthy respect for water...was snorkling off Isla Mujares near Cancun and a huge wall of big pink fish surrounded me, and sent me into a panic trying to find dry sand. I thought I was going to drown...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters