Friday, February 01, 2008

Tagged

Matt Ritchie (of running with the lion ) tagged me yesterday. That means:


Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. (No cheating!)
Find Page 123.
Find the first 5 sentences.
Post the next 3 sentences.
Tag 5 people.


I have three different locations from which I blog. Since I will have to be at all three today, I thought I'd personalize my tagging and respond from each.


From the table in my classroom (where I sit and watch my poor freshmen struggle with their Algebra exam):


"How would I persist against positive eroding forces if I were not drawing on invisible forces? And patience has a positive tonic effect on others; because of the presence of the patient person, they revive and go on, as if he were the gyroscope of the ship providing a stable ground. But the patient person himself does not enjoy it." (Eugene Peterson quoting Paul Goodman in "A Long Obedience in the Same Direction")


From my desk in the Math Department workroom:


"Knowing the derivatives of the sine and cosine functions, you can use the Quotient Rule to find the derivatives of the four remaining trigonometric functions. The summary below shows that much of the work in obtaining a simplified form of a derivative occurs after differentiating. Note that two characteristics of a simplified form are the absence of negative exponents and the combining of like terms." (You can guess this one on your own.)


From my desk at home:

"The manna was like coriander seed and looked like resin. The people went around gathering it, and then ground it in a handmill or crushed it in a mortar. They cooked it in a pot or made it into cakes." (You can probably guess this one too.)

Thanks, Matt. My turn to tag.

7 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, if manna looked and tasted like this wafer-like bar made from sesame seeds and honey, I'd eat that FOREVER! I'm checking my spice supply for coriander...HEY, that's CILANTRO!! Mexican manna!!!

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Tag..."Zaim seemed to be unconscious. Blood plumed from the side of his head, and Bourne guessed that he, too, had struck a rock. With one arm around the limp form, Bourne kicked out hard for the surface, banging the top of his head sooner than he had against the ice sheet. It didn't give." (So, I LIKE spy thrillers!)

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Left out a word..."sooner than he had anticipated..."

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

From my desk at home.

"Was Pittsburgh really scouting me? "What if they are?" he said. "It don't change what you gotta do, Chick." (From For One More Day by Mitch Albom)

I continue to be amazed at what I will spend time doing when it comes to blog family.............but tag! :)

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

I posted mine. Oh joy.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

I was particularly comforted by the second quote.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Hard to believe I've got the same three books at within reach… :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters