Thursday, February 14, 2008

U23D

I'm not old enough to remember when 3D movies were a phenomenon. I never sat in a theater with my little red and blue glasses on, pretending to be afraid when the Creature From The Black Lagoon reached out a fake foam-covered arm towards the camera. I do remember the glasses though, as they would occasionally come with 3D comics or in an issue of "Cracked." I've even been to a few 3D movies, the most recent being "Superman Returns" where only the last 20 minutes had any 3D effects and they still looked pretty much like the old 3D effects. Sure some things were in the foreground and some things were in the background, but everything still looked flat. There has always been depth to 3D, but up until now it's been one flat plane seemingly closer than other flat planes.

Until now.

Yes, boys and girls, they have finally mastered (or nearly enough) the technology of three dimensional movie making. Can flying cars and a cure for cancer be far behind?

So when I say I went to a U2 concert last night, it's because it truly felt like being at a U2 concert...with the following exceptions:

The sound was better. IMAX surround sound is amazing.

There was no breeze, even though I was apparently outdoors.

I did not feel free to stand, clap, dance, shout, and/or sing along. There were only four of us in the theater and I chose to respect the experience of others.

I would never get seats like that at a real U2 concert. We started out far in the back of the crowd, looking out over all the heads. Then we zoomed up to stageside, looking right up at Bono himself. Suddenly we were onstage next to The Edge as he played guitar. Next we were hovering over the drum kit...and so on and so on. A 5-story tall Bono was slightly unsettling.

I've heard that James Cameron is heavily involved in the development of the 3D medium and that his next movie (believe it or not, his first since "Titanic") will make us of it. I've also heard that George Lucas is planning on yet another re-release of the Star Wars movies, this time in fully realized 3D for IMAX. I have to say, both of those prospects now excite me. They wouldn't have yesterday at this time.

We've come a long way from Count Floyd on "Monster Chiller Horror Theater Presents 3D House of Pancakes." ("Look at that cup! It's coming right out at you!") There's just no way to believe how cool this stuff looks unless you're seeing it at an IMAX...no DVD home release available here. You truly have to see it to believe it.

6 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

I think I would prefer a concert like that! Sounds like a great evening of music and visual overload.

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised there were only FOUR people there...sorta dampens things, no? Never did go to a 3-D movie...we were in my father's "Movies Are A Sin" era. But we got a TV in '55...the year Disneyland opened...which has rides with images being hurled at you! I think I still like the "real thing" concerts. (Do you remember the FIRST concert you ever went to? Or the first ROCK concert?)
Wish I could have seen your U-2 concert.

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Sounds like you're saying, "U2 should have this experience."

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

Glad you enjoyed it. Life is good! :)

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm waiting for the first pioneer to bring IMAX to the home user!

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I saw them live many years ago with 40,000 other people. It took me 4 years before I listened to U2 ever again. Long story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters