Friday, November 03, 2006

They Say It's Your Birthday

It's my birthday too, yeah.

In fact I know a LOT of people who share my birthday or were born shortly before or after. Recently I figured out why.

Carolyn (timeless) sent me an e-mail which contained a link to a site where you could learn about things that happened on the day you were born. The news of the day, phase of the moon, that sort of thing. Mine was easy as LBJ was elected president on that day. (I always thought it was funny that I was born on Election Day, but my sister was born, more appropriately, on Labor Day.) Included on that site was the date you were conceived. Apparently, I was conceived on or about February 14. So I have an inkling as to why so many people have birthdays this time of year.

My family makes a big deal of birthdays. When I was growing up, we always got to pick dinner that day. My brother and I always chose barbecued steak and homemade ice cream. That still works pretty well. We didn't have a ton of money, but we always got a great present that day and our grandmas and aunts and uncles always remembered to send cards and cash. I have wonderful birthday memories.

And today I am 42, which according to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the ultimate answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything. So it's a good day to count my blessings and to praise God and thank Him for family, friends, job, health, and home. And my new, spiffy computer. I've been doing that all day long, a good way to spend any day. If you're reading this (and you are), it's a safe bet that I have already thanked Him for you today. By name.

7 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Old Man! Why is it, that we get along so well, even though there is a huge, and I mean huge, gap between our ages? We're brothers of course! Enjoy your day Steve.
Oh, by the way, I tried to send an e-card for your birthday, but I stopped the process after they asked me to sign up for a subscription. The good news, I will tell you about the card when I see you!

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

ihopeyouhaveahappybirthdaycupcake!

 
At 2:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in my salad days, we said,

"Happy, happy birthday, BAY-BEEE"

It was sung by one of those "Doo Wop" groups.

Wish I could be 42 again!!! POO...

 
At 3:33 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Great news on 42. I remember when I was that age. Only halfway to 84. I still like birthdays, even though I'm halfway to something even higher.

Thanks for praying for us. May God bless you and help you to grow in the love of his son.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

Happy Birthday Brother!
Can't wait to celebrate Sunday with you.
Love you.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger twinmommy said...

Taking advice from Wendy and posting a comment...

Happy birthday, Steve. I enjoy your blog and appreciate that you remind your readership to thank God for our blessings. You are an amazing example for us.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger tonymyles said...

Happy Birthday, Hal Jordan.

If you happen to figure out the answers to life, the universe, and everything, give me a call. I have some strong inquiries regarding ths popularity of Full House and the Olsen Twins.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters