Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Kids and Grads

My wonderful niece was one of the graduates honored Sunday morning. I asked all of the K-5th kids to come down front and join us and then asked some questions about being old. I asked the kids how old "old" is. They surprised me. I got answers like 86 and 77. Then I asked the grads how old a person had to be to be "old." One of them said something around 70. And then I put the mike by my wonderful niece's mouth.

"How old does somebody have to be to be 'old'?" I asked.

"I don't know," she said. "How old are you?"

And there was much rejoicing.

I should have asked her when she was, y'know, LEAVING...but instead I let her have her moment. Gracious of me. Also, I didn't think of the comeback until later that afternoon.

I love my wonderful niece. Yesterday she told me about Grad Nite. Her high school took Grad Nite to extremes. They left early in the morning to go to Six Flags for the day. After it closed (and after a 2-hour layover at Wendy's), the bus took them to Disneyland with the rest of the California graduates. They got back on the bus around 7:00 AM, more than 24 hours after the trip started. They crashed all the way home, but she was still exhausted 4 days after the fact. Better her than me. Lisa and I chaperoned Grad Nite a few years ago. She would do it again anytime. I don't ever want to do it again. The joys of youth.

2 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I chaperoned a junior high school trip, with my mother, to Marine World Africa USA in Vallejo. It basically consisted of bus control, letting them lose all day at the park, trying to regroup them, and then more bus control on the way home. We were home by 7pm. Another bus, however, had engine trouble. They sent out a bus to pick up the kids and chaperones, but it was too small. So they sent out another. By the time they arrived back in Merced, even though they left soon after we had, it was already 5am the next morning. That is with junior high kids! That is what I call chaperoning!
Shane Mason

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Two parks in one night. Wow. Things have certainly changed since I was young.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters