Friday, July 29, 2005

I Love Green Lantern


It's my blog, see? If I want to write about how much I love Green Lantern then that's what I'll do. Actually I'm just a little bleary from studying for Sunday's (mini) sermon and class. And I don't want to regurgitate here what I'm going to be saying there. I'll probably post class comments next week but for now I just want to talk about Green Lantern. Also, some of you guys have been addressing some really good, hard stuff in your own blogs...things like grace and unity...and I think for now we just need a good post about Green Lantern.

Lisa mentioned the other day that I haven't posted anything about baseball in a while. She's right. Yesterday the Angels played 18 innings and lost 2-1 to the Blue Jays. This completed a sweep by Toronto and continued a skid in which my team has scored 4 runs in the last 50 innings. That's not good. Now, with a completely depleted bullpen, we go to New York to face Randy Johnson and the Yankees. Meanwhile the A's, whom I HATE even more than the Evil Empire, have been playing great and are only 3 1/2 games behind us. So I think you can see why I want to write about Green Lantern.

Today I played golf for only the third time all summer. I still can't figure out my new clubs (which I had to get because my old ones were stolen along with my car) and so I once again shot in the 100's. Yes, that was the temperature, ha ha, but it was also my score so leave me alone. I think my need to write about Green Lantern is obvious.

Green Lantern is very cool. He has a power ring that operates on will power. It is vulnerable to the color yellow. This is, of course, because of a yellow impurity in the battery from which it charges up its power. It is mostly, of course, because of the need to have stories where Green Lantern could actually lose. His secret identity is Hal Jordan. Yes, I know, there are lots of others but I grew up with Hal Jordan so that's the only one I care about. His costume is very cool. For some reason I really dig the white gloves. I have an original John Byrne drawing of GL from 1975 framed and hanging above my computer. I am a total geek for Green Lantern. If you want to know anything more about him or have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Okay, back to my study of wisdom from Psalm 19, my lesson on King Joash, and my reading of "The Emerging Church" by Dan Kimball (who, by the way, loves comic book art and is probably cool enough to really appreciate Green Lantern).

3 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fun stuff -- how did you get the font to change to green?

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Randy, I used my power ring. I actually thought about posting a trivia question: who can tell me who wrote Green Lantern's oath? But then I realized that hardly anyone even knows the oath, much less who wrote it, so I let it go.

Meanwhile...how COOL was it to see your comment, Dan? I've been trying all day to figure out who let you on to my site. I must remember how small the internet makes the world and just be glad I didn't blast you like this guy I know did to his dentist in HIS blog...heh heh.

I'll say more about "The Emerging Church" in the main blog section, but for now if anyone in ministry is reading this and hasn't read the book, make it the very next thing in your stack. It is vital that we understand how the church must respond to the post-modern world.

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger JD said...

Green Lantern never was on my radar screen. I was a spiderman fan. I still have a bag of comic books from when I was a teenager. Good post, though!

I haven't read Dan's book yet. I will, Lord willing. A friend loaned it to me. It was one of those "Here, you HAVE to read this." So I stuck it in my 'to read' pile. But two weeks later he wanted to know if I read it. I said, 'No'. He said, 'Give it back.'

I think he forgave me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters