Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Head vs. Heart

Much of Sunday's lesson revolves around appealing to the heart of the non-Christian as opposed to the head. We need to cultivate the soil of the heart, show people how God shows us love and gives us peace. Simply arguing our position and getting them to understand what Christianity is before sincerely showing them what it is hasn't worked. Yet as a "veteran" Christian I enjoy reading about people who were convinced by reason alone that God is real. Chesterton's "Orthodoxy" does this as he explains to doubters how he arrived at his conclusion that there has to be more to the world than chance. And now Ashley has loaned me her copy of Mere Christianity in which C.S. Lewis does the same. Solid reasoning by intelligent Christian men makes for very interesting reading. And when you realize that both of these men tried very hard NOT to believe, it makes the arguments vital to understand.

I was reading Mike Cope's blog this morning and he asked people to respond to his question of why NASCAR is so popular. I thought it was funny that more people wrote about the excitement of the coming baseball season than wrote about NASCAR. Some said that the only thing they like about the NASCAR season is that it heralds the coming of baseball. See? I'm not alone.

The weekend went by as fast as I figured it would and I feel like I haven't stopped moving since Friday afternoon. It was a very good one though. Lisa and I had some good time to spend together and her birthday was a lot of fun. We are blessed with such an awesome family and such amazing friends. We're so thankful!

1 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger happytheman said...

Try reading "Mere Discipleship" by Lee Camp (Lipscomb). Great read tough as nails.

Oh by the way it is the Los Angeles Angels at Anaheim. Will be sitting behind home plate the Friday of Pepperdine Lectureships, sorry I have to miss ole Mike speak.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters