Wednesday, February 16, 2005

The Christian "RIGHT!"

There was a discussion last week in the ZOE blog about homosexuality and a couple of contributors who are gay mentioned some of the horrible things people have said to them. In one of the chapters of Yancey's book that I read today, he wrote about a gay march he attended in D.C. where a group of protesting "Christians" were shouting such beautiful slogans at the passers-by as "Faggots go home," "Shame on you for what you do," and "AIDS, AIDS, it's comin' your way." Yancey's friend, Mel White, wrote a book about being a gay christian entitled "Stranger At the Gate." A letter he received after publication ended thusly: "If you don't [repent], thankfully you will receive what you deserve, an eternity in Hell reserved for all who are enslaved to Sin and refuse to Repent." I have spent a great deal of my life being repulsed by the thought of homosexuality. But I find that I am equally disgusted by the hatred and hyprocrisy demonstrated by people who call themselves followers of Christ. And these are not the first two times that the issues of homosexuality and christianity have been juxtaposed right in front of my face recently. And I wonder why. What is God preparing me for?

It's like flipping a switch in my brain to go from the first to second paragraph in this thing most days. But who cares? I love baseball and it's nice to spend some time thinking about it. Especially on the day that Angels spring training camp opens. I looked up Paul Byrd's career numbers today, disappointed as I have been that he was our only new starter acquired this off-season. I knew he had arm surgery that kept him out of the '03 season, but I didn't know that he had won 17 games in '02 and pitched over 220 innings. And by the end of last season he looked like his old self. He could prove to be a big pick-up.

Lisa has yet another CM thing tonight and that makes 4 things in the last 6 days. She works hard and brings in some very helpful money. But sometimes...well...ugh. It can make the evenings tough. Maybe we'll win the lottery soon and get to take a few months off. Of course, maybe I should buy a ticket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters