Monday, February 07, 2005

Grace

This weekend I started reading Phillip Yancey's "What's So Amazing About Grace?" I've been looking forward to it for a long time and it's one of those books I plan on savoring rather than devouring. I love Yancey's writing style, but mostly that he has struggled with many of the same things I have. Four chapters into this book I can already tell it will be a favorite. Today I read of a British conference where the topic was, "What makes Christianity different from any other religion?" Deciding to use the process of elimination, the scholars made a long list of the tenets of Christianity. Incarnation? No, other religions held that their dieties became flesh. Resurrection? Again, no...the idea of coming back in this life or another is fairly common. C.S. Lewis wandered into the meeting and asked what the discussion was about. After being told he replied, "That's easy. Grace." And it's true. In no other religion is the love, the reward, the gift...all free! And unconditional. Yancey reminds me of why I love Jesus. And what the message is for others.

The Super Bowl is over. The Patriots won. Again. Whoopee. Is it baseball season YET??? The weather has been beautiful for the past few days. Today, I actually got to play golf with Rich. If there had been a ballgame on when I got home the day would have been just about perfect.

James has been a great kid lately. He's really been into giving hugs and playing and been really obedient with both me and Lisa. I spent about an hour in the attic today getting all of his clothes out and his swing and high chair. It isn't the least bit hard to give all that stuff away. It's hard to believe but I've loved him at every age more than I did the one before. I wouldn't want him to be a baby again any more than I would want to skip over the age he's at now and hurry on to the next one. God's aging him at just the right speed, thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters